Power Wash Stone House

Old 05-06-17, 04:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power Wash Stone House

Apologies for a very green question. I want to power wash the outside of a stone home in New York City that has some green moss on it. There is no hose hookup outside though I can run a connection into the home to a normal sink.

Is there a certain power washer I should be using? I have been doing some research online but since I am new to it I am not sure how to spot the nonsense from the truth.

Also, when I wash, should I be using only water or is it best to mix it with some cleaner?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-17, 08:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
You could hook a power washer up to the clothes washer hook-up. Finding fittings to hook a garden hose to your kitchen faucet may prove difficult.

First, how tall is your home? Do you have ladders tall enough to access the whole house?

If you are a careful/mindful person I would use a pressure washer with 2'500-3'500 psi. Lower pressures are good for cleaning but around 2'500 psi is where I can start to remove moss without having to get the wand too close. Still you have have to be careful. Moss can be very tenacious and the pressure required to remove it can also be enough to damage the stone, mortar or wood trim around the edges of the walls.

Old 05-07-17, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
I'm not positive a sink would have enough volume to support a PWer. I'd apply a 50/50 mixture of bleach with a pump up garden sprayer prior to pressure washing. I'm leery of using too much pressure as it doesn't take a lot to damage old mortar. Pics might alter our advice a little - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

btw - welcome to the forums!