Mold in Toilet bowl - yes, now it's an obsession.

Old 05-08-17, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold in Toilet bowl - yes, now it's an obsession.

For 5 years now I've done everything and tried every suggested method to kill the mold that continually grows in my toilet bowl - it's only in 1 of the 2 toilets in my house, and it's the toilet that gets the most use.

I have shut off the water supply, filled the tank and bowl with vinegar and let it sit for 5-6 hrs. completely cleaned/scrubbed down all "reachable" surfaces and then flushed and restarted water supply. Mold did not reappear for approximately 6 weeks, but it DID reappear.

I have done the same procedure using bleach/water and mold was back within 3 weeks.

From what I've observed, it is only in the bowl and not in the tank - though I've cleaned both. When it appears in the bowl, it seems to start in the front where the siphon jet is, and then the opening of the trap, though it has also grown at the waterline and when I've flushed an empty bowl of water I've seen a kind of coating on the surface of the sides of the bowl.

I have just about reached the point where I'm ready to just buy a brand new toilet because I think the mold "colony" must be in some area that can not be reached to scrub. As it is, if I go for more than 3-4 days with out scrubbing the bowl completely (hands & knees with scrubber sponge and scouring powder) the mold is back. Does anybody have any suggestions? Before I go spend $$$ on a new toilet?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-17, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Can you post a "clean" picture and one after it manifests itself. Sure would help us to see what you are talking about.

Old 05-09-17, 02:02 AM
Received 190 Votes on 177 Posts
Is the "mold" or what ever above or below the water line?

Mold needs something to grow like wood or paper, there isn't any of that in a toilet so new or old the environment is the same.

Wondering if it's a water issue where some type of rust stain builds up with time!

Old 05-09-17, 03:08 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What is your water source . . . . your own well or a municipality ?

If the organisms are present in the incoming water, then I doubt that changing toilets will do much.

I never had much growing in my toilet(s); but I did like to present a fresh look in the my Office Washroom, which was frequented by the public, so I used these disinfectant tablets in the tank:

Maybe it just dyed the organisms blue ?

Old 05-09-17, 07:50 AM
I will - just scrubbed again yesterday before I posted the above so I'll take a picture today and post it in a couple of days when I see growth again.

Old 05-09-17, 07:53 AM
The reason I don't think it's a water issue is that I do have 2 toilets and this only happens in the one that is used most frequently. The Mold, which is black, grows below the water line. When I scrub it, it breaks up in feather-like bits, I will try to post pictures of these as well.

I have spoken to my local water department, and they tell me that there is no possible way that the water they are providing is causing this.

I have no reason to think it is rust stains as there is nothing rusting in the bowl or tank.

Old 05-09-17, 07:57 AM
I have tried these and there was growth despite these being present. Also I have pets and while I make every effort to make sure the toilet seat is always left closed, I'm not the only one using the toilet and can't be everywhere all the time and these are highly toxic to animals.

Old 05-09-17, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Do you close the door on this bathroom all the time? How about the other one? Closing the door on a small bathroom can cause stale air to accumulate and possibly mold growth, but I have never seen it happen, and I have a small bathroom, but I don't keep the door closed.

Old 05-09-17, 06:39 PM
No the door remains open most of the time and there is a window that is frequently open, so I'm fairly certain that stale air isn't an issue.

Old 05-10-17, 05:57 PM
Received 190 Votes on 177 Posts
The Mold, which is black, grows below the water line.
Not sure what it is but mold does not grow underwater!

Old 05-18-17, 07:26 AM
I just read the most bizarre thing on a website that it happens when you have a diabetic in the house - my husband IS diabetic. But still nothing about how to get rid of it.

Old 05-19-17, 07:16 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I just Googled it and found some information. I did see an ad for chlorine beach - used twice a week along with scrubbing, helps.