Moldy Bathroom Issues

Old 02-19-19, 04:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moldy Bathroom Issues

Hello All! I have a bathroom mold problem, and unfortunately I can't afford to have a professional come fix it. We have considerable mold on the ceiling/upper walls. In the past I've cleaned it with a bleach solution, but now the paint is peeling (it's regular interior paint, not mold-resistant) and bleach isn't shifting the whole stain anymore.

I know it's not ideal, but can I peel/sand the paint that's coming off, go over it all with Kilz (something else?) and accept that eventually all the drywall will have to come out?

Second issue is that when the shower insert was installed, the upper edge wasn't sealed, so the drywall at the edge is swollen/crumbling a bit (photo below). Do I need to cut this all out and put in a new strip of drywall, or is there something cleverer?

Finally, will the combination of a better fan (the one we have is borderline for the size of the room and the room is also an awkward shape) and mold resistant paint keep this from coming back, or do I need to do something else?

Attached Images  
Old 02-20-19, 04:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Kilz by itself won't stop mold/mildew. Zinnser sells a mold killing primer although I've never used it. Bath rm paints have extra mildewcide and do help. A bigger exhaust fan should also help although maybe the one you have might be sufficient if it's run longer.

I'd scrape off any loose paint, apply joint compound to level it all off. The bubbled drywall should be cut down [not removed] and filled in with j/c, preferably a setting type compound. The drywall between the tub surround and the drywall should be caulked.

How old is the house? it's not common for interior paints to peel.

Old 02-20-19, 10:07 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's only about 10 years old. It's peeling the most in spots where I've cleaned the most, so perhaps I was too aggressive with the bleach? That said, I don't see a one-to-one correspondence with cleaning and peeling. It's regular interior latex (the whole interior of the house was painted with the same builder-beige). There's also a tiny amount of bubbling/peeling in one of the bedrooms.

Old 02-20-19, 12:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Since the house is fairly new that should rule out any old oil base enamel under the latex paint. I suspect cleaner residue was the cause for the paint not adhering well. The only reason other than a contaminate for interior paint to peel is water getting behind the paint.

Old 02-20-19, 08:12 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Your mold is caused by excessive moisture. Look to a better ceiling exhaust fan or leaving the one you have on for a longer period of time. Also, it you take really hot showers, this will require longer venting time. Leave the shower doors/curtain open after use to allow ventilation and evaporation to take place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: