Dog Urine Staining of Wood Panel on Kitchen Island

Old 04-20-19, 11:12 AM
Dog Urine Staining of Wood Panel on Kitchen Island

So after a search for looking at animal urine stains on wood, I found this and this, but I did not get a feeling of success but of those saying they will try something.

You can see the photos of the problems. Some time ago, I tried a strong baking soda solution thinking that might take the stain away, but no such luck. A mild oxidizing solution might be promising (3% hydrogen peroxide) but not sure. There is something called DAP wood bleach (anyone tried that?). I don't see damage to the wood itself, just the staining. I am trying to recall what constituents in urine would react with wood components (lignins, polyphenols?) that would cause the dark staining.

One more note: I don't "feel" or "see" what appears to be any varnish on the wood, but I was advised to use a lacquer thinner prior to any treatment to make the wood receptive to treatment. Any thoughts?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-19, 11:26 AM
I don't see damage to the wood itself, just the staining.

Yuck, you might get away with painting using a good primer but if your thinking that your somehow going to stain and varnish better start tearing the wood off!

Old 04-20-19, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wood has some sort of finish on it, if it didn't there would be all kinds of grime from everyday wear on it.
Wood bleach might work although I think the best solution would be to either replace that panel or overlay it with veneer or thin paneling to match.