Chrome weird stains?

Old 06-23-19, 07:55 PM
Unhappy Chrome weird stains?

Hi everyone,

I have not been able to find a proper answer to my chrome stains. They do not feel rusty or even bumpy to the touch, but you can see the stains on my faucet. Iíve tried using toothpaste but I just lightly helped, and Iím not sure if by continuing with it, this could make a bigger damage.

Any my help or tips would be highly appreciated.

thank you,

George

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-19, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Try limeaway. May be just hard water.

Old 06-23-19, 11:47 PM
000 grade steel wool will polish it right up

Old 06-24-19, 03:34 AM
Please don't use the steel wool. It will leave the surface open to all kinds of corrosion and stains. Use a chrome polish. It will not only remove the imperfections but will also give it protective coating between cleanups.

On another note, what brand is the faucet? If it's a name brand (MOEN, DELTA, AS, etc...) it may be covered under lifetime warranty.

stickshift liked this post.
Old 06-24-19, 10:29 AM
Please don't use the steel wool.
That is such an old wives tale that it causes rust I thought it was out in the 70's.

Note use ultra fine steel wool, not the Brillo pad grade fo you really think it's going to wear away the chrome plating?

Old 06-24-19, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
That doesn't look like a stain. It looks more like the chrome plating is lacking or missing.

Old 06-24-19, 03:18 PM
That is such an old wives tale that it causes rust I thought it was out in the 70's.
Not to argue with you, but rust is not my concern with steel wool. It's the microscopic scratches that will allow dirt and corrosion to settle in. Once porcelain, high polished plastic or chrome is scratched, nothing will prevent further deterioration. Chrome polish is almost like a jeweler's rouge to polish gem stones. And the polish gives a protective barrier to moisture. I've had heavily rusted chrome come out smooth (even when the chrome plating has all but gone away) and stay smooth for very long periods.

Again as I have mentioned in many other post, American Standard will only warrant their steel enamel tubs for finish if Bon Ami (never scratches) is used and nothing else. They even provide a coupon for the product.