They won't fix the roof, loading dock starting to smell like mold

Old 07-08-19, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They won't fix the roof, loading dock starting to smell like mold

The boxing club has been moved to the loading dock since other activities are more profitable.
The roof leaks and mold can be smelled and they won't fix it.
Since we can't stop the water, is there an industrial grade air purifier that can be set up to clear out the mold and if so does it need to be running constantly or can I just bring it over during training and take it back with me?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-19, 03:56 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
You've got a health issue here! No purifier will fix it. You need to fix the cause. The owner is responsible, especially if he is running a commercial/retail establishment that services the population. If he can't/won't fix it then he must shut it down. That mold could be very deadly if not addressed. Call the health department for your town.

Bud9051 voted this post useful.
Old 07-09-19, 04:49 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm201

You've got a health issue here!
No purifier will fix it.
You need to fix the cause.
I agree.

OP has 2 rational choices.

A) get the roof fixed.
B) find another space.

I'd start by figuring out a way to fix the roof, that benefits the owner AND benefits the boxing club.

The owner is responsible, especially if he is running a commercial/retail establishment that services the population.
Eh, not necessarily, many commercial leases are "as is - where is" and if you don't like it, you fix it.

However, I'll make a wild guess that this is a simple-hand-shake-deal, where someone has a leaky loading bay which they can't afford to fix, but can't use, so they let people use it for cheap or free.

If he can't/won't fix it then he must shut it down.
Eh, might be a bit more complicated, wild guess the building owner isn't too involved in the upkeep - (based on the size of the rust-stains on the wall above the loading dock doors.

I doubt the owner is too involved in the upkeep, so the owner isn't "running" the boxing. The real issue is how does the boxing club help the owner fix the roof?

That mold could be very deadly if not addressed
True, black mold is nasty, but in the photo I mostly see an easily ventilated concrete and steel loading bay with a leaky roof.

I'd get a "mold test kit" and see what's in the air, BEFORE going to Arlington municipal enforcement.

If you don't get a response from the Owner and find it necessary to make a point;
I would consider just cleaning the loading dock with a power washer- (hot water, soap, detergent, bleach, fungicide, let dry, rinse).
However, first get a good respirator, a coverall suit;

I'd walk in through the front door and up to the manager/secretary and advise them that you'll be cleaning the loading dock, they probably want to shut down the ventilation system and switch to sub-micron anti mold filters for the next few days...

Old 07-09-19, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Putting a tarp flat on the floor is a mistake. It should be large enough to cover the ring and be like a tent, suspended above the ring like a roof so that water runs off the sides and never gets on the floor at all. Also would allow it to air dry. As it is now, the tarp keeps it wet and encourages mold. Number one, get the tarp off there!
​​

Old 07-09-19, 05:50 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Agreed, tarps go ON TOP OF a leaky roof.

As a start, get 10 gallons of rubber pool paint, and have the bantam-weight boxers get up on the roof to paint/seal the roof to keep the water out.

It's not a fix, but it's a start to drying out the boxing area.

Old 07-09-19, 08:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Before you do any roof work you need to clear it with the landlord, with a little luck he might deduct the cost of the materials you use from your rent.