Sour Smell - Need Help

Old 07-01-20, 06:26 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sour Smell - Need Help

I have this almost sour smell at the bottom of my stairs that leads to the second floor. When we first moved in I had an air quality company come in and check the smell and do air test. He said he couldn't really smell anything and the air test came back a little elevated but he said that was due to me keeping the windows open and the outdoor mold levels being a little high. Once winter hit I honestly didn't notice the smell at all and would open the windows periodically to circulate air. Since spring and summer hit I can smell it again and its driving me insane. I tried to pinpoint the smell but always come back to the stairs and when I try to see if I can get a strong smell of it I come up with nothing. The smell also seems to go around into the rest of the downstairs which I think makes sense because its all open. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this smell is or how I can pinpoint it?

Old 07-01-20, 06:43 AM
Received 1,058 Upvotes on 960 Posts
If that is in a basement, get a de-humidifer to reduce the humidity (just like in the winter when the smell went away)!

Humidity does have a smell, I just turned mine on a week ago and it is noticeable!

Old 07-01-20, 06:50 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No that is my main floor and the stairs lead to the second floor (bedrooms). On a side note the basement has a dehumidifier keeping humidity level at 40%.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: