Cast iron skillet

Old 10-25-20, 03:01 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cast iron skillet

What is the best way to clean the bottom and outside of a cast iron skillet? It has a lot of crud built up on it

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-20, 04:49 PM
C
Received 110 Votes on 85 Posts
I have a cast iron skillett that is probably 70-80 years old. I inherited it. Usually I just scrape the crud out of it. I will sometime scrub it with salt and a stiff brush. When it gets really bad I boil water in it and scrape the bottom. If I boil it I re season the pan.

Old 10-25-20, 04:55 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I clean mine with a scouring pad that looks like a piece of chainmail armor. It does a great job of getting what you cant get off any other way and its as aggressive as a wire scouring pad that can damage a pan.

Elton Yancey voted this post useful.
Old 10-25-20, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,202 Votes on 1,112 Posts
I'm curious.....what kind of crud ?
It's pretty hard to damage a cast iron pan.
You wouldn't normally have to scrub it. During its use you'd keep it seasoned with cooking oil.

Old 10-26-20, 03:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
Back when my kids were little I accidentally left an iron skillet on the stove [burner lit] and went to work. When I got back home 11 hrs later the skillet was red but nice and clean. I had to reseason it.
Not that I would recommend doing that - I could have burned my house down

Old 10-26-20, 05:27 AM
S
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Back when my kids were little I accidentally left an iron skillet on the stove [burner lit] and went to work. When I got back home 11 hrs later the skillet was red but nice and clean.
Thanks to a cell phone with a timer that can be avoided today. I frequently use the timer function on mine to avoid disasters or near disasters such as that and even lesser subjects such as watering the garden areas for a prescribed time. Ciri can even help me multi - task.

Old 10-28-20, 08:59 AM
E
The crud is just built up over the years of use.I've used a scraper to get some off but some on the sides is stuck hard.The inside is seasoned and works just fine.

Old 10-28-20, 10:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
I do a lot of cooking over open fire with cast iron. You can really do anything you want to the outside. Scrape and scrub with any tool you want. I've even used rocks to remove spilled and cooked on deposits. You can also use soaps and solvents on the outside. Once I had one that got plastic fused to the outside so I made a really hot fire and put the pan in and burned the deposits off the outside. The high heat also cooked the seasoning so I had to re-season the inside.

Elton Yancey voted this post useful.
Old 11-02-20, 10:04 AM
E
Thanks for the info Dan. I will try scraper and wire brush.

Old 11-02-20, 11:19 AM
R
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
so I made a really hot fire and put the pan in and burned the deposits off the outside
That's the way to do it, build a hot fire in a fire pit or barrel and throw it in for an hour or two. My grandmother used to do that when her skillet got coated bad on the outside and it would come out looking like a new one every time. The only down side is you have to season it after you burn off the crud but it's clean inside and out.

Old 11-02-20, 12:03 PM
H
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
German/Polish way to clean a cast iron pan-
1) Buy a bunch of whole kernel pickling spices
2) Heat the pan & toast the spices
3) Add in course grained salt and use a wooden potato masher to grind away like a mortal and pestle.
4) You get a full jar of pickling spice AND clean the iron frying pan, which still retains the seasoned surface.
5) The next 5-10 times you use the pan, you WILL get the spice flavor in the food, so I HIGHLY recommend doing some form of schnitzel.