Advice after ice dam caused water damager [pics]

Old 02-28-21, 11:11 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need advice after ice dam caused water damage [pics]

So, new house, new lessons. We found out the hard way that our new house has a problem area on the roof where a lot of water drains, but the sun never touches. This caused a Titanic-sinking sized ice dam on our roof.

There is a guide to where each pic was taken at the bottom!

Pic 1 - Ice dam, day 1.

We immediately heard water dripping. It would appear that water got stuck on the roof, and began dripping down through the attic and into the wall.

Pic 2 - basement, exposed joists and subflooring showing water damage.

We were able to use Caclium Chloride to melt the ice dam and gutter, and the water began to flow. Start to finish, we experienced dripping water for approx 48 hours.

Pic 3 - Kitchen floor pulled up, was dry (with mold). Sprayed with mold killer/inhibitor).

We were pulling up our floor anyway, so this was somewhat lucky it happened in this room. Water was about 18" from the wall, which matched with that I could see from the unfinished side of the basement. I sprayed with a mold killer/inhibitor, fan blowing on it now.

Pic 4. Water made it to the basement floor, this is the room on the other side of the wall of pic 2 and directly below pic 3.

You can see water made it all the way down to the basement, just have been running down the studs.

Pic 5. Water looks to have spread across the ceiling at this point, which is about 18" from the wall section that is affected in all the above pics. Maybe ran down the studs to the sill and spray horizontally?

Guide to the pictures above.

My questions are:
  1. Is it safe to use a mold fogger in the attic? Or should I get up close and personal with the water entry point? Will it affect insulation and electrical?
  2. What do I do about the joists/studs and ceiling - do I need to cut out all the drywall? Can a mold inhibitor fogger be used in these areas as well?

Last edited by Dbl_dbl; 02-28-21 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-21, 11:14 AM
D
Exclamation

Here's a couple pics of paint "bubbling" above Pic 3 from the main post. I cut a sample out, seems dry now, but will it ever be fully safe? Replace?

Paint bubbling above Pic 3 from main post.

Cut a sample out - feels dry/dusty, wood also "feels" dry.

Old 02-28-21, 01:48 PM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
It seems you need to be trying to resolve the root cause before attempting to fix the damage.

Just because you got some water from an ice damn doesn't mean you have a mold problem. At least from the pictures I don't see anything that indicates mold.

When you get big ice flows like you show, that is because heat is getting through the attic to the roof causing the show to melt. This is what you need to fix to stop the situation from happening in the future!

Dbl_dbl voted this post useful.
Old 02-28-21, 01:53 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 169 Posts
I'm usually not all that concerned by a one-time water event in terms of lasting mold. Get it dried out and fix the main issue. Bleach or similar products will kill what's there - but so will just keeping it dry.

Obviously, and significantly damaged material needs to be replaced. But I wouldn't be too worried about the moisture causing problems down the road - as long as it stays dry.

Dbl_dbl voted this post useful.
Old 03-11-21, 10:40 AM
D
Thanks Marq1 and Zorfdt.

Good to know about the mold. I am not even sure how I would get at the affected studs/joists without ripping out all the drywall. Hopefully the mold dries out. I've also looked at hoses that pipe in "mold killing" fog but I am worried about electrical in the walls.

As for the main problem - I have been up on the roof but no obvious damage. This weekend, the plan is to get up into the attic and look in that corner...haven't been up there since we bought the house, so I should be able to get a good look.

I think I will rent out an insulation blower and try to insulate the attic floor better so the attic stays colder next winter. Might get one of those roof/pipe heating cables for the area of the roof that is always in shade and happens to be where the water wants to drain to.

Old 03-11-21, 11:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 868 Votes on 799 Posts
This might be worth buying or renting a thermal camera. Get up in the attic on a cold day when the heat is on in the home and gaps or deficiencies in the insulation will really jump out.

Old 03-11-21, 04:07 PM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
I think I will rent out an insulation blower and try to insulate the attic floor better
Do some reading on attic ventilation, just blowing more insulation in the eve areas without allowing for air flow is going to cause other issues, it all has to work as a system!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: