Getting linseed oil off of laminate hardwood floors

Old 08-19-21, 09:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Getting linseed oil off of laminate hardwood floors

Hi.
My husband was trying to be helpful and polished our laminate hardwood floors with linseed oil. At first they looked great but then I quickly realized once they dried, they are cloudy, everything sticks to them (dust etc) and I can't get them to look clean. I have tried all kinds of cleaners. HELP!

Old 08-19-21, 11:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,560 Votes on 1,403 Posts
Ouch! That was a MAJOR mistake. Remove it as soon as possible. Linseed oil takes several days to really dry and gets more difficult to remove the longer it hardens. If it's already mostly solid you need a solvent and not a cleaner. Test on a part of the floor you can't see like in a closet to see how it affects the floor underneath. I would use turpentine. How long you need to leave the turpentine on the floor depends on how long you let the linseed oil dry. If it's pretty dry you may need to keep the finish wet for 10-20 minutes which obviously becomes a hazard to the original finish underneath. You can put the solvent in a pump sprayer or mop it onto the floor. Then cover with plastic sheeting to keep it wet so it doesn't evaporate away. Then use rags to scrub away the softened linseed.

Of course turpentine covering a large area of your floor poses a fire and fume. Open all the windows & doors and run fans to get the fumes out of the house. And no smoking or any open flames.

Old 08-19-21, 12:41 PM
H
Received 250 Votes on 216 Posts
The bad news, linseed / flax oil is different from most wood polishing oils, it polymerizes to create a teflon-like bond, that's why it's also used season cast iron pans by forming a hard surface. It IS used to create a hard surface on wood, often cutting boards, but it's often cloudy, as you're dealing with.

In some situations you can dissolve it and soak it up with a paste of flour and lacquer thinner

If neither of the above work, eh, then I think you may have to try some sort of hard wearing wax on the floor.

As noted above, try on a part of the floor where you don't see it.

Old 08-19-21, 12:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I'd try scrubbing it with mineral spirits [cheaper than turpentine with the same effect] Expect to need a fare amount of elbow grease and dispose of your rags outside!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: