mold growth under sink

Old 12-29-21, 12:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mold growth under sink

We have a longstanding issue with a leaky sink. The sink is now being replaced.

But when we removed everything from beneath the sink, we discovered the board there is completely covered with black spotting. Whether this is mildew or mold I don't know for sure. But it has certainly been growing there for many years unseen.

I am out now and cannot get a picture, but will try to attach one soon.

I'm assuming, though, that this is not an uncommon issue and that many have faced it before. How serious is something like this? I'm wondering if it's something I could tackle myself using bleach and then removing the board. Or can these situations be dangerous, and it is important to call a professional mold tester to diagnose the problem before proceeding?

Appreciate your feedback!

Old 12-29-21, 12:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Most people can handle being around a bit of mold but some can not. I'd remove and replace the board in question. Probably wouldn't hurt to wear a throwaway paper mask.

Old 12-29-21, 01:40 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
Bleach is considered by some to be more of a danger than the mold itself. I'd just remove the board and replace it.

Old 12-30-21, 04:51 AM
Received 954 Votes on 866 Posts
We have a longstanding issue with a leaky sink
​​​​​​​Or can these situations be dangerous
You've been with it for some time, just cut out the old board, probably particle board and replace with plywood.

I've always thought he companies that make automotive floor mats should make liners for under sinks, same principal.

Old 12-30-21, 04:54 AM
Received 954 Votes on 866 Posts
And I checked and they already do, I'm going to order one!

Old 12-30-21, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,575 Votes on 1,416 Posts
First, solve the leaking sink problem that is the source of the problem. Then leave the cabinet door open for a couple days so the wood thoroughly dries and the mold stops growing. Then treat with a mold killer or bleach. They both can work. I've used commercial mold killing products and seem to return to a strong bleach solution and really soak the wood for good penetration. Turn on the bathroom's vent fan and let it dry. Then you can come back and paint the affected area with a stain blocking oil based primer to seal in everything. Then you can top coat with whatever paint you want or put down a plastic mat like Marq1 mentioned. I like the Weathertech products and have a couple of their sink mats but I'm sure there are other brands available.

Old 12-31-21, 04:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone!

Following your suggestions.

Problem solved - almost.

Old 12-31-21, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,534 Votes on 1,378 Posts
A little staining from mold is not a big deal. As long as the leak gets fixed and the wood is still solid, (and not swollen) it won't be a problem once it quits getting wet. Mold doesn't grow as long as the wood stays dry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: