Faint stain or etching on SUV windshield won't come off

Old 01-31-22, 07:55 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Faint stain or etching on SUV windshield won't come off

I just got this SUV and my best guess is there was bird poop that turned into etching. (The two photos taking from the outside show the stain as white, but from the inside the stain is clearly reddish. The photo with the railing in the lower left corner is the one taken from the inside looking out.) I tried to get it off with paper towels and glass cleaner and elbow grease, and it seemed like maybe I got 25% of it off, but there is absolutely no more coming off with that approach. My next thought would be a micro-fiber towel and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. My key consideration is not making this any worse as it is right in my level of sight. If I had to I could live with this as is. Thank you.

Old 01-31-22, 08:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
If it's on the windshield, I would try Bon Ami. If it's etched the windshield, learn to look past it.

MonteCarlo voted this post useful.
Old 02-01-22, 12:04 AM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
There are special polishes for glass, the content is called Cerium Oxide. It's a very, very mild abrasive for glass.

I've used this on a couple cars where the rubber on the wiper blade tore off and it left a streak on the glass from the plastic arm. The polish is so fine it took over an hour of polishing to remove the bulk of the scuff, I cant imagine how long it would take to remove a bad scratch.

Google Cerium Oxide Glass Polishing Kits and look up some YouTube videos!

Old 02-01-22, 11:04 AM
M
stickshift Thanks. I'm thinking I may have to (look past it). Not so sure about the Bon Ami though.

Marq1 Thanks. I checked it out. All the reviewers say you need patience. I think I'd be a little afraid of going too far though.

Old 02-01-22, 11:23 AM
I think I'd be a little afraid of going too far though.
I would say that is not really a concern, patience is an understatement.

And even with what I did, it didn't remove the streak fully, it just took the glaring obvious away!

Old 02-01-22, 11:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Cerium Oxide works very slow, if anything you'll find you'd lack the patience to see it all the way thru.

Old 02-01-22, 02:03 PM
C
Received 224 Votes on 182 Posts
I would call an autoglass company to see if they have a fix.

Old 02-03-22, 06:21 PM
M
Marq1

I would say that is not really a concern, patience is an understatement.

And even with what I did, it didn't remove the streak fully, it just took the glaring obvious away!
Since I can live with this mark, and I've messed other things up before, chasing perfectionism, and since it's in the line of my sight, I'm still pretty hesitant to use the Cerium Oxide.

And I figured out that it's not a scratch. It's some chemical compound. Believe it or not, I think I got it when I was leaving the car wash. Like something dripped from the ceiling when I was leaving. So whatever it is is totally embedded in the windshield.

Old 02-03-22, 06:25 PM
M
marksr I've seen the same thing (it works so slowly) on Amazon reviews for Cerium Oxide. But I've become convinced this stain is a chemical stain. I wonder if Cerium Oxide would still be the choice for something like that?

Old 02-03-22, 06:30 PM
M
cwbuff Thanks. I was on the verge of doing that. Then someone told me they could make it worse too. That they have a "hold harmless" agreement in their contracts that says if they screw up, you're out of luck. I still might go into a place and see what they say before I let them do anything. If the darn thing wasn't in my line of sight I think I would try the Cerium Oxide.

Old 02-04-22, 12:14 AM
they have a "hold harmless" agreement in their contracts
Who is "they"?

Old 02-04-22, 07:06 AM
C
Received 224 Votes on 182 Posts
I had windshield work done last year to repair a small chip. The tech did a really good job although he couldn't make it disappear entirely. All I remember about the agreement was that it said they would not guarantee the repair to be invisible.

Do you have glass insurance? My insurance guy was willing to replace the windshield no problem but I didn't want to go through the hassle. Apparently with all the technology now in new cars replacing the windshield is no longer a simple job.

Old 02-05-22, 05:03 PM
M
marq101
Who is "they"?
The auto-glass company.

Old 02-05-22, 05:25 PM
M
cwbuff I have comprehensive coverage insurance with Progressive, so it looks like if the windshield doesn't need to be replaced, it should be covered. If it needs to be replaced, I'm not so sure. (But I don't want to replace it. Like you said, there are complications in replacing a windshield.)

I also talked to the car wash where the stain occurred and they will pay for a repair, but I'd have to go there and they'd take photos, then I'd have to get estimates etc etc.

I'd really rather not spend the time, though.

As it stands, my mechanic is going to look at it on Monday, and if he can take it out he will. If not, he can recommend a couple of auto glass places for the estimates. Or maybe I'll see what Progressive's path to getting it fixed is.

Old 02-06-22, 04:36 AM
it should be covered. If it needs to be replaced, I'm not so sure
Unless you have specific glass coverage then it's covered under comprehensive but you would be paying your deductible which for many is as much or more than the cost of the windshield replacement.

there are complications in replacing a windshield
At work we deal with window replacements all the time there are no issues with current vehicles that glass shops cant handle.

I just got this SUV and my best guess is there was bird poop that turned into etching.
​​​​​​​I also talked to the car wash where the stain occurred
You initially stated it was from droppings, how did the car wash get involved?

Old 02-07-22, 04:15 PM
M
Marq1

Thanks for the information. Yeah, a new windshield would definitelly be less than the deductible. Besides, I'm not to interested in getting my insurance company involved as I have great rates and don't want to possibly increase them.

The bird poop. As I said it was a guess (and the stain somewhat looks like a bird poop stain would), but then I remembered that I first saw the stain the second the car wash was over and the door of the car wash opened. I'm positive that's where I got it.

Old 02-07-22, 04:18 PM
M
Marq1 Saw my mechanic today and he said he thinks the stain is etched in there. #0000 steel wool, he said, is an option, but the best bet would be a new windshield. I'm going to an auto glass place tomorrow for an estimate.

Old 02-08-22, 05:27 PM
M
If this "low spot" were to occur, would it be clear? Or would it stand out as an imperfection?

Old 02-09-22, 02:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I couldn't imagine buffing with cerium oxide long enough to cut that deep into a windshield. I suspect a low spot would show more at an angle than straight on.

Old 02-09-22, 03:24 AM
The entire conversation has gotten a little dragged out. The polish for glass is so mild that your ability to damage the glass by using it is next to impossible. If you have a mild imperfection, a very slight scratch, a stain, etc. it will help but will not eliminate. It's intended to make something visible, less visible, not invisible and beats the possible cost of glass replacement!

Old 02-09-22, 07:01 PM
M
marksr Thank you

Marq1
The entire conversation has gotten a little dragged out.
Agreed. I'm just not the world's handiest guy when it comes to stuff like this.

I've got a good drill. Maybe something like this would work? Just the 3" diameter of the pad is too big for the etching. Just cut it down?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

Old 02-09-22, 10:23 PM
Take a look at this kit, if this is not the one I got it's very close, everything you need other than the drill/angle grinder!

https://www.amazon.com/UXELY-Polishi...80&sr=1-8&th=1

Second recommendation, a drill is hard to hold when doing this so some type of angle tool works better. I use my air tools which are light weight for the time needed tot polish!

Old 02-11-22, 07:19 PM
M
Marq1 Wow, that looks really great. Thanks very much!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: