Dryer vent cleaning brush recommendation

Old 03-02-22, 05:36 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dryer vent cleaning brush recommendation

Iím looking to purchase a dryer vent cleaning brush. The vent run is about 20í vertical. These look easy enough to use and appear to typically come in segments that can be added on to make as long as needed. Any tips on using one or recommendations on a good one?
Thanks

TF

Old 03-02-22, 08:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,565 Votes on 1,407 Posts
I have one with flexible plastic extension shafts. I work from the outside when the dryer is running. I use a cordless drill and run the brush with one extension into the duct. Then unchuck the drill, add an extension, and run the spinning brush in another 4' and repeat. All the while you should be getting blasted in the face with lint to let you know it's working.

If you work from inside the dryer must be removed and disconnected from the duct. They you "should" have a huge suction on the outside like from a woodworkers dust collector. For the most part a shop vac doesn't move enough air to clean a long run, especially a vertical one. Another option is to run the brush through and retrieve it all then use a leaf blower inside to blow the lint out of the duct. The dryer itself can be used to blow some of the lint out but it tends to only move the smaller dust size lint and leave the bigger chunks behind.

Old 03-03-22, 07:55 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
I also have about 18 to 20 feet in dryer vent. 8 feet vertical and about 8 to 10 feet horizontal. I can't take the outside vent cover off. I can remove the flappers, but they tend to break if I bend too much. I find the only accumulation I get is at the outside vent only. The duct seems to be pretty clear. Occasionally I'll take apart from the inside for inspection.

Old 03-17-22, 11:47 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for all of the input. Iím about to purchase a cleaning brush but have read in some reviews differences in the way sections connect. I assumed screw threads were on option but read some were very hard to disconnect once threaded. I also saw reference to a different method although it didnít specify exactly how they connected it stated that they werenít threaded. I do know if they are threaded then youíd always want to spin them clockwise to prevent uncoupling. I believe the other type it didnít matter. I like the idea of doing it from the outside with the dryer running. Thanks again for the input.

TF

Old 03-18-22, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,565 Votes on 1,407 Posts
Mine uses the screw connections and I have never had a problem getting them apart. The secret is to NOT tighten them. I use my cordless drill with the clutch set to it's lightest setting. I just lightly thread the sections together and clean. Always keep the drill running forward (clockwise) even when you are retracting the brush. Once the joint you want to disconnect is outside the duct hold the rod that is still in the duct, click the drill in reverse and the section that's outside just comes right off.

Whatever you do DO NOT reverse the direction of the rod that's buried inside the duct. That can unscrew the sections where you can't reach them and you are... screwed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: