Removing dirt/mold? from tile edgimg

Old 12-04-23, 07:09 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing dirt/mold? from tile edgimg

I have a decorative tile edging around my tub that was cemented on with Thin-Set. After many years there are now black spots on it. Can they be cleaned off and with what?
Thanks for any replies.

Old 12-04-23, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Use a grout removal tool and then regrout.

Old 12-04-23, 02:17 PM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Looks like it is calking around the 1/4 round so as Xsleeper said cut it out and redo it.
If it is calking you will not need a grout removal tool.

If you want to try and lighten the discoloration on the tile grout try a 50/50 bleach solution.
What I like to do is put paper tower or toilet paper over the discolored area and then keep spraying it on a regular basis with the solution to keep it wet for a couple hours.
Remember wear old clothes and gloves (if sensitive to bleach).
Also do this before you cut out the calk if it is calk.

Old 12-04-23, 02:49 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses.
It's not caulking and not grout. It's thin-set that cemented these pieces in place. I already tried clorox bleach but it didn't do anything. I also had at ile guy look at it; he was going to clean it but if that didn't work, would remove & reset the edging. Unfortunately he never showed up for the appointment nor answered my call. Frustrating, so thought maybe I could DIY.

Old 12-04-23, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
You can. Like I said, get a grout removal tool. It works on more than just grout. There are dozens of kinds.

Example

You would obviously have to go at an angle and be careful not to scratch and ruin your wall tile.

They make carbide hand scrapers for grout that you could use as well if you dont own an oscillating tool.

Last edited by XSleeper; 12-04-23 at 04:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: