How to remove Pine sap from clothes

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-00, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
I somehow got a gob of pinesap on the heel of my shoe and then working in the garden kneeling down transferred it to the seat of 2 pairs of pants before I realized it. Does anyone know how to remove it? It's sticky!

Old 03-13-00, 10:46 PM
Visiting Guest
First take an ice cube and freeze the sap till it's good and hard. You should be able to remove chunks of it that way. Then if it's not all gone, try good ole WD40. That should remove the rest. Rinse the WD40 off with a vinegar and water solution and don't wash the pants with anything else until they have been laundered once. The WD40 can transfer to other clothes.

Mary Moppins [url="http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/url]

Last edited by Docduck; 08-29-05 at 09:38 AM. Reason: No advertisements on forum
Old 03-18-00, 06:36 PM
Visiting Guest
This X-max, I got pine sap on skin and clothes from tree. I used Googone on both, and it smells better than wd-40. Googone can be found in grocery, drug and hardware stores.

Old 08-28-05, 04:36 PM
Manzanita
Visiting Guest
Some observations

With a pair of cotton shorts I just tried Triflow, which is quite similar to WD40. It seemed to help a little. Then I saw that we had some Tea Tree oil in the bathroom cabinet so I tried that. The Tea Tree oil did a great job, quickly dissolving the sap. I then hand washed the clothing to remove the oils. It seems the Triflow took some color out of the cloth - just a little. I would recommend the Tea Tree oil, if you have any. I suppose Turpentine would also work but it might be a little more aggressive.

Old 08-29-05, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rubbing alcohol blotted should do the trick.

Old 04-14-06, 07:54 PM
A
Talking Perfect

Originally Posted by Docduck
Rubbing alcohol blotted should do the trick.
The rubbing alcohol worked great! Simple, Readily available and effective Thanks

Old 01-13-07, 08:14 PM
P
while rubbing alcohol works, baby oil works great at getting pine sap off of skin and washable clothes. It also is great for removing oil based paints and stains from your skin.

Old 01-13-07, 08:20 PM
T
Using baby oil to remove pine sap from laundry leaves an oil stain. Oil stains are best avoided as they tend to compound laundry problems and are a frequent subject in cleaning forums.

Old 04-03-14, 05:21 PM
D
Pine sap removal from shirt

Rubbing alcohol and baby oil worked fine on one of my shirts.

However, don't try Goo Gone the smell is hard to be gone! I washed it twice and I can still smell it on the one small spot I used it on. Rubbing alcohol was my best and cheapest success.

Old 05-04-15, 09:11 PM
R
Rubbing alcohol worked great

Rubbing alcohol worked great. Unlike some of the other recommendations it also evaporates after it has desolved the pine sap.

Old 05-04-15, 11:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,418 Votes on 1,311 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Glad to see this thread helped you with your problem.

I also use lighter fluid. It won't harm most clothes and it dissolves many grease like stains including pine sap.

I can see by the page views that this is an extremely common problem. This thread will be sent to our searchable archives were it will always remain available for reference.

If this thread doesn't help you..... please feel free to start a new one in the forums.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: