How to Clean Suede Shoes! Help!

Old 04-02-00, 02:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I got two pairs of suede shoes about 6 months ago and I have tried on numerous occasions to get them clean. I wet a rag with vinegar. Didn't work. I bought not one but two cans of a spray endorsed by the manufacturer. The instructions are to spray on the shoe and then use a hard-bristled brush to raise the nap. That doesn't work. I love these shoes, but they're getting to the point where they're so dirty I can't wear them anymore!

Please help! scd@xxxxxxxx

POSTING EMAIL ADDRESSES IN FORUMS NOT ALLOWED.

Last edited by twelvepole; 08-16-06 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-02-00, 09:34 PM
Visiting Guest
I have never cleaned suede shoes before so I'm going at this totally blind. I would first try some Ivory liquid dish soap. Mix some in the sink and dab with a rag. Ivory is a good degreaser and generally won't damage fabric. Test an area first.

I have also heard that baby wipes are really good for removing stains. Again I've never tried them, but I've heard that from several sources.

I have also used Dow Tub and Tile cleaner on a pair of pants that I thought were going to the dump. Worked like a charm.

You might also try a leather cleaner like for baseball gloves.

Other than that I'm at a loss at to what to recommend. It's really sad the manufacturers own products don't work. I'd sure be lodging complaints.

The next time you buy suede, I even do it with just regular leather shoes, treat them with a weatherproofing seal like for boots. It will help keep the dirt from settling in. Then retreat every 4 to 5 months.

I spent 12 years cleaning houses and am sharing my tips twice a month now. If you would like to receive them, email me at XXXXXXXXX and I'll be happy to add you.

Mary Moppins

Last edited by twelvepole; 08-16-06 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Posting email addresses and links to personal commercial websites not allowed
Old 08-16-06, 04:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
white sprits will clean suede

Old 08-16-06, 04:24 PM
T
White spirits is a solvent. Solvent cleaners are not recommended for leather as they tend to make them dry and brittle. In addition to damaging leather, solvent cleaners can affect the dye. Professional leather cleaning is recommended.

Old 01-11-07, 10:11 PM
H
Use a hard eraser

Use a hard eraser and rub gently all over the shoe. Then use a soft brush to clean all eraser bits. You're done!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: