Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Closets and Home Organization
Reload this Page >

Walk-In Closet with steel studs, need suggestions for mounting rod and shelving

Old 01-17-07, 01:28 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I'm finishing my basement and I have built a walk-in closet. All of the studs in the closet are steel. The only wood studs are around the closet door. My questions are:

1) What is the best way to install rods and have a shelf on top of the rod? Should I look for some prefabbed kit, or is this something I should be cutting myself.

2) What type of screw is recommended to mount something thats going to have alot of load on it(such as the closet rod in this case) into steel studs. I have heard of people mounting heavy Plasma TV's into steel studs so I don't think a clothes rod would be too bad. I was thinking about some 4 1/2" inch screws to go through the front and back of the steel stud but I want some suggestions before I start poking too many holes in the new walls.

Old 01-22-07, 04:44 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've effectively secured the wire shelving units (the kind often found in closets) into steel studs by using a self tapping screw
As these were in a commercial applications (not handled delicately ), I'm sure it would be fine for a closet (which is really what they are made for)

You can get a pre-cut shelf and rod combo from a few different manufacturers
Just pull out the nails (some are designed to go into drywall ) or screws (for wood studs) provided, and replace them with self-tapping screws from the hardware store (not from a big box-they tend to strip easily)
Just tell the help at the store what you are doing (securing to metal studs through drywall)
They'll set you up

Old 01-22-07, 09:41 AM
N
I actually tackled this last night. I found precut brackets, adjustable rods, etc and it came with all the hardware included. The side brackets went into drywall but the centre support had three 2 inch self-tapping screws. I used all the hardware that it came with and it seems very secure. I was reefing on it and it wouldnt budge so I'm hoping this will do. Now the only issue I had in the end was the shelf I had to cut. Apparently when walls arent 100% square in the corners it causes your shelf to be a bit ****-eyed

Old 04-17-07, 01:57 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
standard framing?

I'm about to build the same project, and was wondering what standards to follow for thickness and spacing of steel verticals so that the framing itself can support a full rod of clothes and an extra shelf above (ClosetMaid plastic-coated wire system). I have concrete ceilings and floors, 8-ft. height.

1. Would you just build to regular drywall standards, or closer spacing?

2. And what if I want a thinner wall -- I've read that 1-5/8 steel studs at 12" spacing is "allowable" up to 7-10" -- can I do 9-inch spacing and get away with it at 8-ft. height?

Old 04-17-07, 08:46 PM
N
Let's just say that plastic brackets for left and right hold fine with the supplied drywall mounting hardware and the added centre support piece has 3 screws going through the 1/2" drywall into the 2x4 steel stud almost in the centre. Been holding fine since my post in January.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: