Bi-Folding Door Alignment Problem

Old 06-07-12, 09:05 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bi-Folding Door Alignment Problem

I have 3 sets of bi-folding doors. When closed, all three sets are perfectly aligned (flush) at the top but are misaligned at the bottom as you can see in the attached photos. These doors have a fixed pivot at the top of one side and a roller guide at the other. One of the doors (see top photo) for sure wasn't that bad until I replaced the roller guide , more like in the bottom photo.

These are kitchen/pantry doors so it is extremely important they look as good as possible lest I have to cook my own meals and I'm not a very good cook...

How can I make them flush at both the bottom and the top without completely remounting them (concrete floors BTW)?

EDIT: I might add that the door halves that are sticking out at the bottom are not exactly plumb, and that none of the door bottoms touch the floor, so something seems to keep them from hanging correctly. Is there anything else I could check?

Attached Images   

Last edited by Pipsisiwah; 06-07-12 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-12, 09:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
If I remember correctly the top can be adjusted by loosening the screw that holds the pivot in place and sliding it one way or the other. The bottom is adjusted by lifting the door slightly and moving it one way or the other.

Old 06-07-12, 09:47 AM
P
In my case, the bottom mount allows one to adjust the spacing from the floor to the bottom of the door, and the spacing of the edge of the door from from the wall. It does not allow one to adjust the door in or out of the room.

When the doors are closed, the space between the edges that meet is the same from the bottom to the top, and also between the doors and the wall.

Old 06-07-12, 09:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
oops, I didn't look close enough at the pics

You might be able to gently bend the door [actually it's the hardware] and get it to line up better. I'm sure some of the carpenters will be along later. Most of my bi-fold door experience is just from taking them down to paint and then rehanging them.

Old 06-07-12, 11:27 AM
P
UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED:
Well, I bit the bullet, laid down on the floor with my flashlight and found the problem with the door in the bottom photo - the bottom pivot pin in the door was not positioned in the pivot hole in the floor bracket. So I fixed that, now it hangs just a bit (1/8-1/4 inch) farther into the closet than the other one. That, and the center hinges are pretty worn (they been hangin' in there for 30 years now, and at 10 openings a day X 365 X 30, that's 110,000 openings and closings. Give or take.

Then I took a closer look at the door in the top photo. The bottom pivot of that one is also out of the bracket hole, into the room. I'll bet that correct positioning will bring that door into proper alignment.

Old 06-14-12, 05:02 AM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Door Alignment

There are alignment brackets available which are installed on the inside of the doors at the bottom. Here is an example:

Alignment Bracket, Steel, L 1 3/4 In - Hanging Door Hardware - Supplies - 1XMX9 : Grainger Industrial Supply

These would be an option if your adjustment efforts are not satisfactory.