Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Closets and Home Organization
Reload this Page >

Closet Project - Install bi-fold door by joining 2 closet door and expanding

Old 01-04-13, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I am new home-owner and am taking up my first project. I have the following closet currently installed in my bedroom:

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 15896
Size:  22.7 KB

The wall between the 2 doors is hollow and its hollow inside the closet as well. Thus, its a waste of space for me in the closet and an area hard to get to. So I want to break that wall down and install a bi-fold door and have a better closet.

My plan of action:
1. Check the dry wall and break it down
2. Remove the molding around the center wall
3. Remove the door frame adjacent to the wall.

... Now I have a question:

4. Should I remove the two top frames from the door completely and install one common frame that goes across, or can I just fill the gap between the two frames with another piece of wood?

What other suggestions can you give me for this project. This is my first project ever...

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-13, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What you need to keep in mind for this project is weight bearing - the wall and ceiling above the doors (and potentially the floor above or roof) needs to have this wall holding its weight. Right now, you have studs on either side of each door and a header over the top to accommodate this. Remove the studs in the middle and you need to move that weight bearing to the outside of the area. I would guess you'll need to replace two headers with one long one (of likely thicker wood) and may need an additional stud on each end.

I'd start by removing the drywall and seeing what's underneath for structure.

Old 01-04-13, 01:25 PM
I will keep that in mind.

But I know the following:
- it's a condo style townhouse so the floor above me is another condo
- there is a false ceiling (duct )on top inside my closet

I will start with the dry wall

Old 01-04-13, 01:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Is this 2 separate closets that you want to make into 1 bigger closet? It would be a LOT simpler/easier to just remove the closet wall that separates the 2 and keep your doors as is.

Are there lights in the closet? if so, do you know how the wiring is routed?

Old 01-04-13, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Good questions from Mark - I inferred this was one continuous closet inside when I answered.

Old 01-04-13, 02:04 PM
No it's one continuous closet with no wall inside it. The front wall blocks the closet inside.

Also, there are no lighting inside the closet.

Old 01-05-13, 12:28 AM
If its a condo, check your CC&Rs. In most condos you own everything up to the paint on the walls (the air space). You are not allowed to modify the walls. In part because if that is a load bearing wall you can wreak the condo above you.

If you do decide to modify the wall, I'd put in a continuous header beam and support it on each end with two studs. For a project this small, the lumber will be cheap and it's worth overbuilding it a little.
Also, make sure your finished opening is a standard size for bifold doors, otherwise you'll get stuck ordering custom doors.

Old 01-05-13, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Do exploratory surgery first. Remove the sheetrock on the inside of the closet directly between the two doors at the top to see if there is a continuous header. I don't know of any builder who would put two doors together like that and build two separate headers. One header would be easier to build and install from the beginning. I also don't know any builder who would put two doors together like that in the first place Duh!