turning cold storage into a closet

Old 09-10-13, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
turning cold storage into a closet

Hi,
so we're buying a house with a granny suite. the bedroom downstairs does have a closet, sort of. it's being used as a cold storage and is just concrete floor and block walls, no insulation. we want to finish it into a nice big closet for my mom, but the water shutoff valve and the water softener are in there. So we're thinking we have to work around that stuff and keep it accessible yet covered and out of the way. I'm thinking cupboards along the outside wall where all the plumbing and stuff is, we can build around the stuff so it's still accessible but hidden, and the other cupboards will be usable storage space with shelves etc. then we can put some open shelves and hanging bars on the other 2 walls.

we'll have to insulate the walls of course, and i guess we'll need studs and drywall and the whole shabang. how much is this project going to cost and how difficult would it be to do it ourselves, should we just hire someone? and if we hire a general contractor can they do all of this or will they sub out for the cabinetry and stuff?

basically I need to know the quickest and cheapest way to do this.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-13, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 409 Votes on 384 Posts
Make sure that room is very dry with no water issues.

Sometimes it's easier to frame around the utilities and then put louvre doors on. You need easy access to the equipment for servicing.

As far as quicker......that would probably mean hiring a handtman.
As far as cheaper.... that would be you doing the work.

Old 09-11-13, 07:34 AM
Sandra03,

There's a bit more to it than that. I'm simply a homeowner who dabbles, so I cannot give a whole lot of advice, but I can say that I saw a very good episode of Holmes on Homes (or one of his other shows) where a cold room had been turned into a closet. It created a huge problem that needed more than just insulation.

It can be done, and might be a simple as getting rid of any vent to the outside, framing, insulating, and putting up a barrier. But I suggest trying to find that episode so you can see some of the issues. Sadly, a quick search did not produce it for me.

Old 09-11-13, 03:21 PM
great, thanks I'll have a look

Old 09-11-13, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 409 Votes on 384 Posts
I saw that same episode and I thought that they were keeping it an already established cold room but had water leaks and poor insulation from the heated area in the basement.

I couldn't find that episode either but I did find an article from him.

MIKE HOLMES: Take the chill out of your basement's cold room - Winnipeg Free Press Homes

Old 09-12-13, 06:58 AM
PJmax,

That could be what was being done (I have a vague memory of an insulated door). In either case, the episode does explain issues with areas that were designed to be cold rooms and their interaction with livable spaces.

It's a shame HGTV doesn't allow more past episodes to be watched online. I'm sure that's where I saw it several months ago.

Old 09-15-13, 10:55 AM
yes that would be nice since I don't have cable lol