Help designing a tool closet please

Old 10-10-13, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help designing a tool closet please

Hello,

I have a closet that I can dedicated to tools and parts.

It's 36" wide by 24" deep by 96" high. The doorway opening is 29.5" wide by 80" high.

I really want to maximize the storage space, while maintaining accessibility.

I thought about a tool cabinet along the 36" wall, but it would have to be 27" wide to fit through the door, leaving 9" of unused space.

I thought about two 24" tool cabinets along the 24" walls, but they would have to be 12" deep, and I can't find any such things.

I thought about simple shelving, but 24x36" shelving doesn't keep things particularly well organized.

Anyone have any ideas how to make use of this space? I have far more tools and parts that can fit, so every cubic inch is important.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-13, 05:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like your trying to fit a Qt. of Jell-O in a Pint jar.
No one here can see exactly what it is your trying to store so were stuck with some guesses.
Sounds like your stuck with just lining the walls with 1/4" peg board.
There's hundreds of different style hooks you can buy.
I'd buy it or paint it white.
pegboard organizers - Bing Images

Old 10-10-13, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
If I remember correctly, many tool cabinets/boxes are 26" wide. If you wanted to go that route you could insert the rollaway tool box and then build a removalable set of shelves to fill the gap and accommodate the tools that won't readily fit in the tool box.

Old 10-10-13, 06:15 AM
Well, I do have a qt of jello and a pint jar, but I'd be content getting all I can into the jar.

It's tough to list everything, but it's basic tools (various types/styles/sizes of screwdrivers, pliers, wrench sets, socket sets, hammers, bits, cutters, tapes, measuring devices, etc.) and parts (screws, nails, anchors, washers, etc.)

peg board makes access quick and easy, but I need the space to accomodate more tools that the walls lined with pegboard could do.

Old 10-10-13, 06:20 AM
Cabinet

There's a 34" high, 26.8" wide 7 drawer Excel cabinet I've been looking at. I can stack 2 of them and that would give me a nice amount of drawer space.

If I could figure out how to make good use of the space on the side, that would do it. I'm having a hard time envisioning a removable set of shelves. Would you mind elaborating some?

Old 10-10-13, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Build a long skinny box with dividers [shelves] then turn it on end and slide it into the space between the tool box and the wall. You can set the shelves so they accommodate taller tools or whatever you have left that doesn't fit into the tool box. Having it removable allows you to put the tool boxes in place and get them back out if/when needed.

Old 10-10-13, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is your door centered in the closet? If it were slightly offset, my bet would go to shelving with a lip on each shelf to keep things from rolling off, and dividers between the shelves to.....well.....divide things up and keep them in a good order.

I don't know that a rolling cart would be very beneficial, unless you kept most of your tools in it.

Old 10-11-13, 09:57 AM
Pay a visit to a local custom cabinet place, or maybe even a big box store having a dedicated storage department. I've seen several varieties of pull-out storage units, having baskets with slick, ball-bearing slides. I had one in a custom-made (free-standing) pantry in a kitchen remodel I did a few years ago. That thing was the cat's meow, making a small galley-sized kitchen actually workable. I'd go with that and pegboard everywhere I could, including the inside of the closet door. You can get elongated pegboard hooks with a series of loops for holding individual hand tools, too.