Do metal closet rods sag over time?

Old 06-19-15, 04:47 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do metal closet rods sag over time?

Hello,

My closet has a wood rod, but it is bowing in the center and doesn't support much weight. This isn't my house, and I'm working 7-days a week, so I want a simple solution.

Anyone experience going from a wood rod to a metal rod? What's a good brand? John Sterling?

The rod is 72" long. The other wooden rods in the house aren't bowing, but they are smaller closets.

I would add a shelf support bracket, or two, but the wall cleat is in the way; the wall cleat is too thick, so none of the adjustable support brackets will fit either. I'm trying to keep it simple.

Old 06-19-15, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The heavy gauge chrome rods are best. Never seen one bow but you obviously shouldn't do chin-ups on it.

Old 06-20-15, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I would add a shelf support bracket, or two, but the wall cleat is in the way; the wall cleat is too thick, so none of the adjustable support brackets will fit either. I'm trying to keep it simple.
If I understand correctly, all you need to do is cut a short piece of wood the same thickness as the cleat and install it vertically under the cleat. Then install the support bracket.

Old 06-22-15, 11:32 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have a wooden rod in the laundry room which had a similar problem. My " solution" was to rotate the rod 180 degrees. The weight of the clothing is slowly returning the rod to straight.

Old 09-13-15, 10:17 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up sagging closet rail

There are center brackets available from most hardware stores, check the diameter of the rail and if not too thick, match it up with the metal bracket, lift the rail at one end and slide the bracket over and screw into the top of the closet. Make sure screws are not too long before fitting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: