Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Closets and Home Organization
Reload this Page >

Twin slot shelving strong enough for heavy storage?

Old 01-25-19, 09:47 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So I'm in the process of finishing a storage room in my basement. My wife really wanted it complete with drywall and carpet, didn't want an unfinished cement and 2x4 room. I'm doing it with hard carpet tiles, but other than that, it's going to be a fully finished, painted room. I only mention that to give a reason why we're not just building some sturdy 2x4 shelving for this room. The shelving will need to be somewhat finished looking.

So for around all the walls (the room is about 10x12. I was thinking of using the twin slot style racks you can get at home depot or Lowes, with wood shelves. But I'm not sure about the sturdiness of those. I know they're fine for a bedroom closet and whatnot, but there could be some fairly heavy boxes on these shelves, christmas decorations, boxes of books, basically anything we want to stash down there. I would build my own shelving, but I want them to be adjustable. Which is why the twin slot looks so appealing. Minimalistic, space saving, seems it would be perfect. Just worried about the weight load.

Would the ShelfTrack kind be stronger? Or do they make more heavy duty versions of the twin slot shelving?

I will be using some standalone metal rack shelving for the middle of the room, so I am mostly just wondering about he shelving around the walls.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-19, 04:55 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Shelftrack, I goggled that, looks very light duty.

For my basement I have a lot of industrial "tear drop" racks, they hold thousands of pounds of krap but you can buy used for really cheap.

A bunch of 2x4's and some 3/4 plywood makes a super strong and cheap set of shelves!

Old 01-25-19, 06:08 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I agree the shelf track looks a little too light duty. And I've made shelves before out of 2x4's which are great, but not quite "finished looking" enough for this room. I will probably do a teardrop style set in the middle, but along the walls we were hoping for something more finished, and adjustable.