Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Closets and Home Organization
Reload this Page >

No door knob, handle for closet door, what else

Old 03-16-19, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I believe there is some gizmo that can be used instead of a door knob/handle. I don't know what it is called.

One pushes on the door inward on the non-hinge side and it pops out and opens like a normal door.

I need to go into a building supply and order a door as the rough opening is 21" wide by 82" high. The door is going into a bathroom closet and it's a small bathroom. Therefore, I would rather not have anything hanging out, protruding from the door.

What is it called?

Thank You!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-19, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
A magnetic touch latch, perhaps?

Old 03-16-19, 02:22 PM
Yes, I think that is it. Will go into Menards and see what they can offer me. Now, at least, I can talk about it.

Looked it up on-line, will one work or should I have two for a full length door? Also, I wonder if it would be cheaper for me to install it rather than order the door with it already installed as they are only $4.99 on line plus shipping.

Thank You!

Old 03-16-19, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
You will want 2 of them. I don't think there is any such thing as "ordering a door with it already installed". Just like doors don't come with door knobs installed. If you order the door you will have to instruct them to not drill the bore for a knob. And I doubt Menards will make a custom door for you... but let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Old 03-16-19, 03:09 PM
I'll go in and talk with them hoping this week. I'll get two magnetic touch latches.

Old 03-17-19, 06:59 AM
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
should I have two for a full length door?
You are probably looking at a cabinet door latch. Here is one that is made for a full size door:

https://www.hardwaresource.com/invis...ize-doors.html

(I have purchased items from them and they are reputable.)

Old 03-17-19, 09:14 AM
Thank You. Helpful in that the doors are going to be slab, not hollow core so therefore, heavy. I actually need 4 total.

Now, I'm wondering about hidden hinges.

Old 03-18-19, 09:59 AM
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
hidden hinges
They have those too.

https://www.hardwaresource.com/catal...q=hidden+hinge

Old 05-11-19, 06:20 PM
If you're going with a room door, then you need a heavy-duty touch latch. It’s not just the weight it’s also that the plunger has to push the door out far enough. That’s not an issue with a typical cabinet door. But you need something that'll push the door either 1-3/8 or 1-3/4. Take a look at Sugastone touch latches. and buy extra. These damn things just don’t work very well over time. Consider talking your client into an edge pull.

Old 05-11-19, 07:32 PM
Thanks, 4 doors yet to install and all are for closets, opening 82" and most are 21-22" wide. I don't want hinges or door handles to show or be in the way. The bathroom closets are tight areas.

This is for my home and have been working on it for nearly 30 years. These are the last of the doors to be installed. Scared as I've never done hidden hinges before. Plan on doing them during the winter months and spending this time researching tools needed and best way to do them.

Will be so happy when done!