How to organize tools and toolbox?

Old 05-25-20, 07:56 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to organize tools and toolbox?

I have 3 toolboxes and a variety of stuff. Not sure how best to organize it. It wont all fit in 1 box. (red toolbox is out of the picture)

I'm thinking of using one of the toolboxes for more household tools (plumbers wrench, precision toolbox, etc.

One of the toolboxes is missing the top tray, so I was going to use some customizable plastic containers from harbor-freight (they are like craft/tackle boxes with better closing snaps on each side. I figure one of the toolboxes should fit 3 of them perhaps with room for some junk on the side.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-20, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 491 Votes on 450 Posts
Yeah... car tools and household tools. I have a separate box for plumbing tools... crescent wrenches and pipe wrenches, etc.

IMO small hand tools should probably stay out of the box, they just get lost in the bottom. If you have a bench they are nice to display standing up on a rack where you can see them. i.e. nut drivers, screw drivers, that sort of thing.

Old 05-25-20, 08:26 AM
M
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
First I would go through the tools and separate any duplicate tools and the lesser quality tools all go into one box as spares/future replacements.

Old 05-25-20, 08:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
The first thing I would do is sort the tools into groups like you've done. Then I pick the best of each tool. You don't need five 3/8" ratchet handles so pick the best one and put that in the toolbox pile. Do the same for everything else. When you've gone through everything you'll probably be close to having one good set of tools. Then everything else can go into an old, clunky toolbox as spares.

Old 05-25-20, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 491 Votes on 450 Posts
Hmm. Good point. If I did that I would probably have a lot more room in my truck bed drawers. But if I only have 1 of something, I'm not nearly as likely to be able to find it when I'm looking for it. LOL