Plans for 4 Point Ceiling Hoist

Old 04-19-21, 09:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plans for 4 Point Ceiling Hoist

Hoping someone can help out - I am looking for basic plans to construct a hoisting system to store items high up in my 12' ceiling garage. I would like to be able to connect to all four corners of a platform that I can hoist up out of the way.

Thanks

Old 04-19-21, 09:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
It's a very simple system. What part is causing you trouble?

One thing I found VERY helpful was to use decent quality marine pulleys like used on sailboats. The pulleys sold at home centers had way too much drag and resistance. The marine pulleys have a larger diameter roller and bearings so the rope moves much more easily through them.

---
I fly radio controlled airplanes which are big, fragile and relatively light. I have a frame to hold the airplanes which comes together at the top so it can be hung by a single rope. Directly above there is a marine pully in the ceiling and then I have another marine pulley over on a side wall. The rope goes from my carrier frame straight up to the ceiling, over to the pulley by the wall and then the rope hangs down to the floor. I then have a boat cleat on the wall to tie off the rope. To make raising and lowering easier I have weights on the end of the rope so the whole contraption mostly just floats so little force is needed to raise or lower it.

Old 04-19-21, 11:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Assuming I connect the ceiling pulley to solid structure by way of a heavy lagged eyebolt, do you think it can safely support 50lbs?

Old 04-19-21, 02:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
Yes, 50 pounds isn't much if done properly. My hanging rack is about 50+ pounds depending on what planes I have on it at the time.

The pulley are key. I tried using pulleys from the big box store and it was really hard to lift. I was having to pull down with about 100 pounds force to lift 50 pounds. After getting good pulleys it was much more one to one which was a dramatic improvement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: