Right Forum??

Old 09-06-02, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Right Forum??

Hi All & congrats on your new forum Phonetek

I have a question about something I read, but did not quite understand. I run into that a lot at 50 with 5 years PC experience lol.

The ADSL line I now use is POTS like a dial up. However is it true in any way that my 3, PC LAN is now safer than when I was using Cable?

By safer I mean we use CAs EZ ARMOR & a Linksys Cable/ADSL Router. Safer because of the method we hook to the WAN compared to Cable.

From Dial up to Cable, & now ADSL with Top Notch AV and common sense, no PC has had as much as a sniffel. Am I safer from a Hacker, because of the method our (Bell South) IP connects us to the Internet. Or is Cable about the same?

With 1170 down & 202 up there's not much chance of us going back to the Fast/sloow of Cable so this is just a question for my own continuing edu.

Thank You, Marturo

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-02, 08:40 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
IMO, there is no difference in the security aspect between
DSL and CM.

Old 09-08-02, 10:22 AM
Smile 2nd post try.

Hi Gary Tait,

Thanks for your quick reply.
Let's hope this one makes it onboard Same post as org.

Marturo

Old 09-09-02, 08:43 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
I have to agree with Gary... Anytime you set up a network you are only really as safe as the files people download who use your network. Most viruses come from files attached to email or files people download as opposed to someone hacking into your network from the outside. Many hackers are discouraged from a good firewall setup so it makes it rather tough to get in. It also depends on who is trying to hack it and why. Hackers generally have nothing better to do than cause trouble and some see it as a challenge to try to break in to a really hard network to break into. To be honest there is nothing "hackproof". Face it, even if you have the most expensive and most state of the art auto alarm system on your car if they want it bad enough they will get it. The simple answer is, no there is no difference in security by the type of circuit you use to connect to the Internet unless you have an actual dial up modem and unplug it from the phone line or turn the modem off when you are done.

Old 09-09-02, 10:21 PM
Smile Bell South propaganda?

I beleive it was an advertizement by Bell South in the big Cable Modem vs ADSL war we had for new customers.

Not having the e-mail, I can't quote. BS claimed that because you were not sharing the lines with other users like Cable. This made you somehow safer from the other users in that (Cable Modem) LAN.

Having paid attention, I know there is no lock that can't be picked. However there are some AV programs that are better than others. Also it is just good common sense to use a NAT type hardware router, when using High speed access. A good software Firewall just adds another layer of protection.

Since I have experienced all 3 ( dialup, Cable Modem & ADSL ) types of internet access, I prefer the ADSL for it's same speed 24/7 for our type of LAN useage. Webmaster, online classes, downloading large files, & forum Moderation, etc.

I have to admit I find it odd that only the Bell South ADSL people reccomend a hardware router and Fire Wall program. The Cable Co does not mention either, just an AV program.

Marturo

Old 09-10-02, 06:24 AM
Technically, cable modems act like one big LAN. But somebody has to be very dettermined to hack into their neighborh's computer, and then it's pretty easy to track since the number of suspects is very low.. I always recommend everybody get a router, even if they only have 1 computer. A NAT translation firewall is nowhere near perfect, but it will deter most hacker wannabies from breaking in. It's also a lot more convinient, especially for DSL PPPoE customers since you don't have to log in every time you boot up. If you have more then one computer a router is pretty much essential. The other "essential" part is having a "true" modem, be it DSL or cable. It has to have an Ethernet connection. USB modems cause a lot of problems, and they require more resources. An Ethernet modem requires nothing other then a NIC card.