phone issue...

Old 09-10-02, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
phone issue...

Ok, this may not be the right forum for this, so if it's not please direct me to the appropriate forum (assuming one exists).

I have a Panasonic 900MHz coordless phone with built-in answering machine (KX-T1741B). It has worked wonderfully until a few days ago. The cordless handset will no longer communicate with the base. Regardless of the distance between the base and the handset the message "out of range" will display. Even the pager function (to help locate the handset when out of sight) does not work. I've adjusted the antena, and tried various arrangements of the handset, base, and even nearby appliances. Nothing has worked. I also tried removing the battery, unplugging the power to the base, and disconnecting the phone line in an effort to "reset" the two components. No luck. The answering machine works as it should (with the exception of being able to access it through the remote handset) and the speaker phone in the base works fine and makes calls as it should. In addition, the remote handset is fully powered.

I've contacted Panasonic customer service and they only suggested things I've already tried. Their next suggestion is to send it in to be serviced, but of course it's not under warantee, so I'd like to avoid that if possible, but it's also a $120 or so system so I don't want to just scrap it and fork over the $$ for a new one since it' had been working so well.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-02, 05:03 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
To be honest everything you did to test it is actually all you could have done. Funny though, I personally had the same exact problem with a similar Panasonic telephone. They told me the same thing as they told you. Mine also was just out of warrantee as well. It was a great cordless phone and worked all the way to my mailbox which was about 500 ft away. Unfortunately, the only fix was to not fix it and purchase a new one. Panasonic offered to fix mine but it would not have been free nor worth the price they quoted. I wonder though how many other people had a similar problem with the same phone. Sounds like Panasonic has a design flaw that they need to be responsible for and offer to fix for free. Especially since if I remember correctly that phone was about $150 bucks give or take! Maybe you stumbled onto something Matt, if enough people have the same problem who knows.... maybe we can get free replacements?

Old 09-11-02, 10:20 AM
frustrating...

It's frustrating because Panasonic seems to make good products (by that I mean products with good features that work well) but that seemingly have a poor reliability.

I'm not hopeful about the Panasonic repair route or the idea that they'll acknowledge a design flaw. I work at a production company (TV/Video) that uses mainly Panasonic video equipment and despite the fact we can take our equipment to a Panasonic facility only 5 miles away for repairs (and apparently we have an extensive service contract with them, although that's not really my department) it appears to take forever to get something fixed. Word is that there have been massive cutbacks at Panasonic (or at least the department that deals with physical repairs/service) and what would normally take a day or two can now take weeks at the least.

I also have a relatively new Panasonic VCR which is now experiening audio problems when recording or playing back in Hi-Fi. Again, like my phone, before that happened it was easily the best VCR I've ever owned in terms of features and general quality, but without warning, something has gone wrong.

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

Old 09-13-02, 06:13 AM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
This is normal for electronics - failures occur either shortly after start of life or after a very long period of time. Both without warning. It's called the bathtub curve because if you plot the failure rate it starts off high, slopes down rapidly, stays flat for a long period, and then rises steeply again.

Frankly, you're better off replacing consumer electronics rather than repairing them except in a very small number of circumstances. That phone may've cost you $120 when you bought it, but you can now buy a phone with equivalent features for less than $50.

The VCR is similar, although I suspect VCR prices have bottomed out and will start rising in the next few years since the format is starting to die.

Old 09-13-02, 05:43 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
I agree Zathrus, it is better to just replace most electronics rather than repair. You say they usually die early in life or after many years. My question is, why do they last until the day after the warrantee is up?

Old 09-17-02, 08:11 AM
RadioShackGirl
Visiting Guest
* Edited - I'm sick of hearing about Radio Shack *

Last edited by SafeWatch; 07-29-03 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-17-02, 09:20 AM
hmm....

Thanks for the feedback guys/gals. I've resigned myself to purchasing a new cordless phone. At least I can use the base of the old one as a speaker phone in another room, so it's not a complete loss. Call me old fasioned (and I'm probably younger than most of you), but if I plop down in the neighborhood of $100 for something like a small appliance I expect it to last for a minmum of 4-5 years (with the exception of extraordinary wear-and-tear, acts of god or children, etc., etc.), although based on your feed back in the other thread (cordless phone recommendations) it seems like I'm lucky to have gotten 2+ years out of my recently deceased phone.

I wish it was something as simple as battery replacement or even handset replacement (I don't think the base is transmitting anymore), but thanks for the tips RadioShackGirl. (resigned sigh here.)

Thanks for all of your input.

Matt