cordless phone recomendation...

Old 09-17-02, 09:05 AM
RadioShackGirl
Visiting Guest
* Edited - Yada Yada Yada, Radio Shack Radio Shack Radio Shack - ENOUGH ALREADY *

Last edited by SafeWatch; 07-29-03 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-17-02, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My brother has good luck with the Radio Shack phone at his house, however my mom uses and BellSouth brand at her house. She's tried others and gone back to this one. I don't even think they make this phone anymore, but she's had it for 5 years and never had a problem. It doesn't have anything extra on it, and she uses a caller id box and separate answering machine. I had trouble with my last phone and answering machines, and ended up just going with voice mail through the phone company to solve that issue.

A general rule of thumb is: the more gadgets, doo-dads and features a phone has, the more there is to go wrong with it.

Kay

Old 09-17-02, 10:30 AM
T
interesting...

Thanks all. Kaybird I was surprised to hear that your brother had such good luck with his BellSouth phone, I'd heard such terrible things about electronic products made by the "baby-Bells". Who knows, times change or perhaps your brother got the pick of the litter.

RadioShackGirl jogged my memory, for what it's worth to others I actually did have a remarkably durable phone from Uniden in college and after (you can just imagine the abuse it took). It would be nice if they had some of these phones set up to test, I remember the only drawback of my old Uniden was sound quality, but I suppose that was practically a stone-age cordless by today's standards.

Thanks for the 411 people, I appreciate the feedback.

Matt

Old 09-17-02, 10:44 AM
I haven't had any luck with ma-bell's phones, but this one is over 5 years old, and still going strong. I have never seen this style sold on the shelves either. Who knows, maybe its older than that...back in the dinosaur days when you purchased your phones from a phone company outlet, etc.

I do like this last phone I purchased and think it is a good one other than I don't have phone service anymore. Its a Sony, very clear except in THE ZONE (what we've dubbed the spot in the dining room). Our telephone lines out here are horrid. I couldn't keep connected on the computer so went to cable. I couldn't use my DSL modem since they aren't set up out here for DSL. I have one of those Cricket phones for the house, and my husband and I use cellular phones (him for work, me so the kids can reach me if I'm not home).

Good luck in your quest. Check RadioShacks return policy on their phones. You may be able to return it if for some reason it doesn't work well in your home. WalMart allows returns, but most of their phones are the economy models to begin with. You may be able to pick up a nice phone at a BestBuy or Circuit City.

Kay

Old 09-24-02, 01:15 AM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
I would like to comment on the Radio Shack phones. They are okay I guess but to me they sound like your talking into a soup can and they batteries do only last a year almost to the day. I replaced the battery 3 years in a row until Radio Shack stopped stocking the battery and then I had to order it every time. It simply wasn't worth the trouble nor the wait. When I plug in a phone I just want it to work and not hear worry about it for years to come. I am not interested in taking it in for an oil change every 3,000 miles. I have plenty of other things in my home that are much more worth the time and effort to worry about.

I have asked around to various people and I have found that several have had good luck with Sony brand phones. I'm not answering from experience but from others opinions.

Last edited by Phonetek; 10-05-02 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-24-02, 07:09 AM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
Don't buy an extended warranty no matter what you do... $20? For $20 you can buy a new phone with the same features in 3 years.

Extended warrantees are nothing but pure profit for the companies selling them. There's a reason that every consumer advocate speaks out against them.

I have a cordless phone that's over 5 years old and is still working fine... unfortunately I have no idea what brand it is. Also have a 2+ year old 900 MHz one, again, no clue on the brand.

I'd recommend staying away from the 2.4 GHz phones if you want to use wireless ethernet though - they use the same frequency and interfere with one another (802.11b that is -- the newer and more expensive 802.11a wireless ethernet uses a different frequency and has no such problems).

Old 10-22-02, 01:28 PM
T
Smile update...

Since I started this whole debate I thought I should update you all on what I ended up doing. Rather than take my Panasonic for repairs (had I mentioned that my Panasonic VCR was also acting up?) I cut my losses.

I just bought a Uniden 900mhz cordless w/caller ID with built-in answering machine and a 2nd cordless handset/charger. Price ran about $70 at Target, not too bad. The only down side is that there's no dialing pad on the base and no speakerphone, but at least the extra handset can take the place of the speakerphone.

Sound quality is a touch worse, but it's more a matter of earpiece speaker than of reception quality. Let's face it, slightly worse sound quality is a lot better than no sound at all.

Thanks for all of your input!

Matt

P.S. If anyone knows anything about VW Jetta alarms/door locks I posted a problem I was having on the Automotive Forum and I'd appreciate any insight I can get.

Old 11-05-02, 08:01 PM
zalyx1
Visiting Guest
I don't know anything about which phone is better , but I can share my experience :
Was building my rock wall in backyard with Bobcat that had a steel track. Of course , I had to have phone clipped on me in case of .............what??? ! Anyway , I got done for the day and parked Bobcat under deck. Heard phone ringing and reached for the hip. Nothing there ! Phone kept ringing and I began the "eternal search". Down on all fours, now digging in dirt. Found it ,still ringing.
Answered and began talking. Looking down , I noticed there were tracks right where the phone was dug up.
Yup, I ran it over-several times , I think. Face was cracked and dirt was pressed into every possible crevice , but it still worked and still works clear as a bell (6 months later).
Moral to this story is that Uniden phones are virtually indestructable and I will never buy another kind of phone.
Loyalty comes in the weirdest ways !

Old 11-05-02, 08:10 PM
That's a cool testimonial!

Kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: