Phonetek Needs Help W/Data

Old 10-08-02, 10:21 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
Phonetek Needs Help W/Data

Okay, the title can mean two things and since I'm on the subject I will ask for both.

First, if anyone is any good with data type networking stuff and may want to help out in this forum with data type questions. Please feel free to send me a private message if you are interested in becoming a moderator for this forum to help out with these issues. I would greatly appreciate it!

Second, my question! As I stated somewhere in this forum I am in the process of getting a high speed wireless Internet circuit. They say that I can only have one computer on it. It uses the MAC address of my Ethernet card to identify my computer. From the sounds of it they are setting it up for HDLC so I will have Dynamic IP address's instead of a static IP. Now, I have several computers located all throughout my house, in the garage ect. I wanted to set all of these up to be able to use this high speed connection no matter which one I am on. I was told by the person I signed up with (under his breath) that there is a way to do it. He said I would need a hub and set up on of them as a server. This way I am using the server to connect to the Internet but coming to the server from another computer. Can someone maybe give me some input on just HOW I go about doing this?? I know I need a hub and I have that much but the rest is where I get lost. I have stated many times that I am not a data person nor do I set up internal networks so this is where my area of expertise come to a screeching halt. Again, any details and how to's would be wonderful!

Old 10-09-02, 06:03 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What you need is a hub or switch for your primary computer receiving the data over the wireless network. Connect it and the other computers to the hub via CAT5 cable.

This computer will be your server to handle the connection to the internet. It really won't require anythiing of the computer, just being there. Under whatever OS you are using open a connection to the hub and set up your network. It is simpler to use DHCP for your internal network.

The hub, Linksys or NetGear or whatever, will have directions on how to connect everything at the hub. When you access the hub from your computer follow the instructions in the online help file as to how to set everything. This in not as hard as it seems. You can link one hub up to another rather than having to buy one with a lot of ports, just buy two. It may be cheaper that way.

Connecting the computers....buy a spool of CAT5 from Grainger or somewhere with some good stuff. About $60 for 1000 feet. Less is less. Buy good quality connectors, RJ45, for a common term. Get a metal crimping tool. The most likely point at which to have a problem is at the crimp. Install this as a star arrangement with the hub as the center. Be gentle with the CAT5. Line length is limited to 100 meters, not likely to be a problem for most.

The other computers will have to be set up for networking under whatever OS you use. The OS should have a help file for this. For windows there will be a lot of rebooting, as usual.

Buy a good firewall and virus program for this soon to be exposed network. For the most part, the hub will keep the bad guys out because it uses Network Address Translation or the like so that an outsider cannot really see into the network because the hub reroutes traffic in the fly only to where requested rather than to where a probe tries to go.

I don't know how involved your network might be, but the best example of how to do it is www.home-cabling.com . I set mine up pretty much the same way and am quite happy.

Let me know it you want any further info.

Chris

Old 10-09-02, 07:11 PM
W
Chris gave you some excellent advice!

I would further recommend the additional info, some of which you may or may not know.

When you buy your cable, be sure that whatever you get, CAT 5, 5e, or even 6, that all the associated stuff is certified to the same level. That is to include the jacks (RJ 45 as mentioned), keystones (the internal workings of the wall outlet), etc. Be sure you do not overstretch the CAT cable either. 25 lbs is the max pressure for pulling! If you can see the ribs of the twisted pairs through the outer jacket, you pulled too hard and there will be loss. When you make the connectors only strip 1/2" of material to insert the twisted pairs into the plugs. And then, only untwist the amount that the plug needs. You may want to add some extra twisting right before the plug termination point to ensure the twisted wires stay twisted if you catch my meaning. And as with all CAT cable, make sure you get the right wire into the right slot! If you need more cabling info, search for "ANSI/TIA/EIA 568".

Old 10-09-02, 11:15 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys for your help so far. I would like to mention where I am at this point as I really didn't clarify enough. I was in a hurry when I typed the question. =) I actually have been doing most of my forum stuff from work these days. I have been working midnight's doing software upgrades on some of our equipment and the machines do all the work. So, it gives me a great deal of time to do this. At any rate, now that I got all that out of the way.

The network I am setting up consists of 5 Macintosh computers all running pre-OSX and one PC laptop running win98. I have already pulled all the cable throughout my house (used cat 5e) and wired up all the RJ-45 jacks ect. I have yet to purchase the hub but I will one of these days soon when I am awake. My biggest question is the actual software end of things. For example, how do set up my Macintosh as the server (the fastest of the 5 of course) and where do my internal IP address's come from? I wouldn't think I would make them up.
I would also assume if say my fastest Mac is the server and I am on my PC laptop it is the Mac that is getting me on the Internet even though I'm using the PC laptop, am I correct? This is the part where I get lost..... just all the programing crapola that has to be done. The physical aspect I understand completely. If you guys can help me understand this a bit better that is more what I am looking at.
I would also like to add that as far as security I am not too worried. My server to be is already well taken care of as I burned anything important onto CD's and any programs or anything I am worried about is on a different partition of my hard drive and double password encrypted. The rest of the Mac's I couldn't care less about if someone is that curious. The only chance they are going to get to take a peek is when I am online. Otherwise, when I am offline...the hub will be powered down so my Internet will be as well. Besides, I know if someone wants in it bad enough they will get in. It's ashamed they will be very disappointed at their findings for all the work it took them to see nothing. On the firewall aspect of it I am unclear on exactly what it is you do to set one up. Is that a piece of hardware or software? I always thought it was a piece of hardware but I could be wrong. One of my customers actually thought they had to hire a masonry contractor to put one in but I know I'm not that far out in left field. I look forward to your input.

Old 10-10-02, 02:03 AM
C
The firewall can be software also. When you connect to the hub you will see a web-style page to select options for the network. The connection speed depends upon the connection. As I said, the main computer does nothing in its role as server other than have two NICs in it for the routing. One card connects to the wireless device, or is the wireless device, and the other connects to the hub. All of the work for the connection is done by the hub.

I can't help with setting the MacIntosh. Linux or Windows, yes. It is probably straightforward. Look in help for networking, internet connection sharing, and such.

Old 10-10-02, 05:14 AM
BSB
If you get a hub or router (5 port) there is no need in setting up a client-server network. Peer to Peer is much simplier and easier. IP addresses for the machines? If you get a DSL router you only need to set up the nic's to dhcp and adust the range of IP addresses in the router to 5 or six. Many of the routers on the market have a built in firewall, cannot remember if you have to set them up.

You don't make up your ip addresses, well kinda. There are sets of addresses that are set aside for personal use (or intranet use) meaning these CANNOT be used to connect to the internet. They are 10.0.0.0 and 192.168.0.0 I think there is one other 204.?.?.? but not sure. A search would let you know.

(ie. 10.10.10.1 , 10.10.10.2...192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3) most common subnet mask for under 100 users is 255.255.255.0 And thanks to cisco (my hero) you no longer need to be concerned with IP classes. (when you take any network cert test you do, but not in the real world.)

Will have to talk to some one who networks apple to get the setup info. Have only installed pinters to apple networks. told its pretty simple, but being a pc man its all greek to me.

Brian

Old 10-10-02, 07:41 AM
T
What type of wireless networking? Solving the MAC address problem is easy, most routers will be able to clone a MAC address. I've done it many times with ATT cable, they use it, along with the computer name to authenticate a computer. Depending on the type of wireless connection you're having, you may be able to get a router to do all the work. If not, you'll need one PC to act as the Gateway (with 2 NICs, one to the wireless modem and one to the hub). Then fire up ICS, and you should be in business. An Apple machine doesn't care whether it's on a PC network or not as long as TCP/IP is working. The "gateway" machine doesn't have to be all powerfull either since it really doesn't do a lot of work (unless you install a firewall. Even an 166 Petium with 64Mb of RAM running Linux will work perfectly.

Old 10-14-02, 01:44 AM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
Okay, here is where I am at now. I purchased a 5 port Ethernet router/hub that should do the trick. You guys were correct about it being able to clone the MAC address. The firewall software that came with it is only PC compatible (of course and I'm not surprised)! so I will have to come up with something else. I have all the computers wired up to the hub and the connection for the circuit ran down to the basement all ready for everything to be delivered. So, all the physical stuff is completed. Just waiting on the circuit so I can do the rest and cancel this stupid second line!

Old 10-14-02, 07:02 AM
T
All routers offer a NAT firewall, which is decent for most users. Lynksys also offer a built in anti-virus I believe. You can get free firewalls for PCs, but I don't know almost anything about Macs...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: