cell phone minutes

Old 10-23-02, 01:55 PM
paul8568
Visiting Guest
Unhappy cell phone minutes

I didn't know where else on this website to ask this question........ I recently got my wife a cell phone and set her up on a plan with 500 day minutes and unlimited night and weekend minutes. I figured this would be plenty of calling time for her. Wrong!!! She went over her day calls by some 505 minutes, at $0.40/minute = $202!!! Does anyone offer unlimited anytime minutes? I'd be willing to pay more than the $34.99 that AT&T charges me for a monthly service fee. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-23-02, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The only type plan we have like that here in this area is thru Cricket. I believe they are expanding nationwide.

I don't have a "land line" anymore, but have one Cricket phone and two cellular phones. I pay a flat fee of 39.95 per month (plus tax) for unlimited minutes. It is a cellular phone, but only works in this area. The only way you can dial out long distance is if you purchase prepaid minutes for the long distance. This works out great for our family since I have 3 children so this is our home telephone, and if our 15 year old is out at the movies or bowling alley she takes it with her.

The only way that you can get more minutes for your wife through ATT is to change to a plan with more included. This will, however, boost your monthly charges. I currently have 400 anytime minutes, and 1000 nights and weekends. I can go over the 400 if I'm not careful! I got the Cricket phone since as you discovered, $40 more a month for another local cellular phone is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying 40 cents a minute!

Kay

www.cricketcommunications.com (if you want to see if this is available in your area).

Old 10-24-02, 06:59 AM
paul8568
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. Does Cricket include in-state long distance in the basic coverage? You said "It is a cellular phone, but only works in this area." Does that mean that it only works for local calls?

Old 10-24-02, 10:34 AM
Yes, only local calls. Similar to a regular telephone service.

Kay

Old 10-24-02, 11:09 AM
paul8568
Visiting Guest
I checked with Cricket. They don't offer service in my area. I did find some higher priced calling plans from ATT that I'll probably end up using.

Old 10-24-02, 11:25 AM
Both my husband and I have had to adjust our plan sizes due to the costs of going over the minutes allotted. It is ridiculous how much it is per minute over your plan! He uses his for work, but is only reinbursed for so much and it never fails that he goes over that amount. We then raised his plan/minutes and even though we do pay more monthly, it is a lot less than 40 cents a minute.

I only have 400 minutes on my phone which is far too many for it to be an emergency phone. It seems that everyone 'has' to get in touch with me when I'm not at home so they call the cell phone instead of the Cricket (and leave messages). I run very close to my 400 just with the short conversations that I have on it.

Kay

Old 10-24-02, 11:29 AM
Do some more shopping around. 500 mnutes is alot.
I've got about that, and can use them for LD if I choose.
And I pay less than your 35 bucks. US Cellular.

check around.
Also, you should be able to check with your provider to find out how many minutes have been used in each billing cycyle. When you hit te max, you stop chit-chatting.
And, one more thing - Hang up and drive!!

fred

Old 10-24-02, 11:50 AM
I agree with Fewalt on the 'hang up and drive'!

This is what amazes me about all the phone calls I get on my cellphone since 1)I'm not at home which means probably 2) I'm driving. I won't answer the phone. If they call back, I usually pull over to see who/what, etc. only to find out they wanted to chat. Very irritating when I'm trying to either get somewhere or back home and end up sitting in a parking lot to answer some questions that could have waited until later that evening.

Leave voice mail when you call someone and they don't answer! If you call 2 or 3 times, then I personally think it may be an emergency.

Kay

Old 10-29-02, 08:06 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
Cell phone plans are almost as confusing as figuring out who gives the best deal on long distance. If I didn't have on through work I wouldn't bother having one. Of course after being on it at least 5 hours a day using a cell phone off working hours has no appeal to me whatsoever. For my wife I have her set up with one of those prepaid calling card minutes. We actually purchase minutes from time to time. This way she has one around in the event of an emergency but not to chit chat. You do have to make sure that the minutes don't expire though if you don't use them. I went the regular route before and we each had cell phones and it turned into a fortune. Call me a cheapskate but I'll stick with a pager for $4 a month w/voice mail. I have heard stories where people don't have home phones anymore and all they have is cell phones. I don't know who they use but the plans people I know including myself have tried certainly were NOT cheaper than my good old copper phone line.

Old 10-05-04, 03:20 AM
catherinepaul
Visiting Guest
nice site

Really Kris, site is worth clicking. I was really unaware of so many options available in the market related to cellphones. I never thought prepaid connections could be so cheap. Thanks for bringing this site to my knowledge

Old 10-27-04, 10:43 AM
shankbrandi
Visiting Guest
Wink ...unlimited cell phone mins....

I don't know if you live in an area where QWEST serves as a residential and cell phone provider but if you do that's great! They are the only company I've found that offers any-time minutes, however, they charge $105.99 a month for it. I have only a cellphone, no home phone, that enables me to justify it. In addition, I don't usually use more than 2000 mins a month so if $105.99 is too much perhaps a plan with 1000 or 1500 anytime mins and unlmtd nights and weekends would work for her? Sprint has and adjustable rate plan so that if you go over your minutes your plan adjusts the price to however many minutes you used, hence no overage charges. Hope this helps ya!

Old 10-28-04, 06:55 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
T-Mobile has a regional plan with 3000 anytime minutes for $50/month.

I tend to pay about $75-80/month for my phone service - so I guess I'm hitting about 3200-3500 minutes/month.

The only problem with a regional plan is if you travel out of your area, rates are around $.30-.40/minute. That sucks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: