Mixing brands/types of phones

Old 12-08-02, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mixing brands/types of phones

My sister has one corded phone and one cordless, and for some reason both can't be in use at the same time. One has to be hung up for the other to work.

I currently have two corded phones--one generic and one 2-line Phonemate w/answering machine (only 1 line in use right now). I would like to get 2 cordless ones, but don't want to end up with the same problem my sister has. Any suggestions as to why both of her phones can't be used and how I can avoid the same?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-02, 04:49 PM
From what I recall of telephones, only one can be off the hook at a time and receive a dial tone to use. There is generally only one line for the telephone to use. Now, two can be off hook when a telephone call has been established and two users want to be on the line together.

I have two cordless telephones here. They work fine. Two different brands. I have swapped a corded telephone in place of one of them from time to time, without problems. We have had as many as three cordless telephones on the circuit at a time without difficulty. Of course, only one can be used at a time. That is normal.

On the other hand, if your sister has two telephone lines coming into her house, and a separate telephone on each line, and cannot use both of them at the same time on separate lines, then there is a problem. Probably with the wiring.

Old 12-08-02, 06:33 PM
Not sure what's going on...

First of all, based on your experience I'll just go buy whatever phones I want and trust they will work with what I have.

As for my sister, I'll have to check more carefully the next time I visit. She swears that when I call, two of them can't be on the phone simultaneously (ie, I can't talk w/both nephews at the same time, each on a different one of their phones).

However, they do have 2 lines coming into the house, so maybe she's got something mixed up.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-08-02, 08:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You shouldn't have any problems using 2 phones on 1 line at the same time, in the same conversation, of course.

As for your sister, if she has 2 lines, then that is probably why you can't talk to 2 people at her house at one time, they are on 2 separate lines. Think of it like this, it's almost like trying to talk to 2 people at different homes at the same time. Since they are on 2 totally separate phone lines, you would have to make a 3-way phone call in order to talk to both of them at the same time, if that makes any sense.

I think you may be getting phone lines and phone extensions confused. A phone line just means the line the Number calls, could be a whole house and all it's extensions. A phone extension is the separate jack or phone, they could all be on 1 line, they could be on 2 different lines, etc. Depends on how many lines go to the house and how the jacks are wired.

Hope that's not too confusing. Basically what I'm saying is, if your sister has 2 different numbers at her house, you would have to call both numbers in a 3-way call to talk to both phones at the same time.

Old 12-09-02, 09:08 AM
By deffinition, if only one phone line is present then only one conversation can take place. You can have 10 phones on that line if you wish ( up to the REN value), but only one can be "on" while the number is being dialed.
If there are 2 lines in the house then you need 2 line phones, or you need to re-wire some of the jacks to have the second line (black/yellow pair) go to the to center pins on the phone jack (red/green pair).

Old 12-09-02, 09:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, but I gathered from her post, she just wants to know why she can't talk to 2 people on 2 phones at her sister's house. But if her sister only has 2 phones and has 2 separate phone lines, then they must each use a separate line.

Last edited by SafeWatch; 12-09-02 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-13-02, 09:36 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
You can have more than one phone off hook while dialing a number and the call will still complete. However, if you finish that call and want to call someone else all phones need to be hung up long enough for the previous call to disconnect before dialing the next number. Also, you can not click over to answer a call waiting call with more than one phone off hook at the same time. At this time I do not know of any brands or types of phones that are incompatible. Currently my inlaws still have one rotary dial, one touch tone and one cordless phone on the same line and they have never had a problem. That pretty much covers the extremes.