Home Networking

Old 12-24-02, 09:30 AM
hithmojr
Visiting Guest
Home Networking

My house was prewired for home networking w/cat-5 cables. My wife did all the upgrades & I completely forgot about having separate data & voice jacks in each room. Anyway, I want to connect the computers in the kids rooms to the network. Currently the jacks in their rooms are set up for voice. How do I switch them over to data? I'm thinking I need to do something with the brown wires. When we moved into the house I had someone connect my home office and the computer center to my broadband. I have attached a pic of my wriing cabinet.

Thanks for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-02, 12:18 PM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
Some insight...

hithmojr,

I may need a bit more information to give you an answer, but here are some basic issues:

When you say the cables are "set up for voice", do you mean that only one pair of the Cat 5 cables are being used in the jack?

Are you using standard RJ45 jacks that are color coded so that the wire pairs in the Cat 5 cable are terminated in either a TIA-568A or 568B configuration? If so, then there shouldn't be a problem using the cable for either voice or data. Refer to this link for more detailed information:

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable5.htm

Do you have a network hub? Your photo didn't get posted (none ever do on the DIY forum) so I can't see your wiring cabinet. If you do, then a cable terminated on both ends with either the 568A or 568B wiring scheme should work for adding the PC to the network.

I set up my own home with a similar configuration: I have a wiring closet with a centralized voice and data wiring scheme. I have a 4-port hub connected to my DSL gateway so we can network the computers and share the internet connection.

If you can get the basics down about the wiring configurations, and make sure your connectors are installed correctly you can do it all!

Here's a good wiring information resource from Leviton:

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/learning/wiring.asp

Good luck.

LewMac

Old 12-26-02, 04:54 PM
hithmojr
Visiting Guest
Lew,

I haven't had a chance to investigate the suggestions you made but I will. Thanks for the info. I let you know what happens.

Old 01-07-03, 09:58 AM
danh7913
Visiting Guest
voice is usually wired for RJ-11 and is not compatible with RJ-45 or network cables. If this is the case, you would need to run new wires to connect that room to your network.

Old 01-07-03, 05:14 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Dan here. You will not be able to use your wiring for BOTH Voice and Data. You'll have to decide whether you want voice or you want Data. Cat5 is becoming very prevalent as phone wiring (for good reason), but the problem is that Data communications (networking) requires all 4 pairs of wires in Cat5 wiring, so you have nothing left to use for voice communications.

Good Luck!

Old 01-07-03, 06:14 PM
LewMac
Visiting Guest

If you will read my post carefully, I said the wire could be used with either voice or data if it is configured correctly. I didn't imply that you could use them for both at the same time.

Actually, you technically could do this if you wanted to. Data communications uses only 2 of the 4 pairs in the cable, leaving either of the other two to use for voice. Although this is not recommended and does not conform to accepted wiring standards, it can be done.

I have been doing networking for a number of years, and the links that I posted will confirm the above information. I have completely rewired my own home with Cat 5 throughout, and have connections for both voice and data based on TIA 568 wiring schemes. Everything works great!

Here are a few more links if you need more info:

http://www.alatec.com/info/rj45.html

http://www.homepcnetwork.com/index.htm?wireintro.htm

http://www.home-automation.org/Wiring_and_Cabling/

http://www.cabletesting.com/CableTes...andards.htm#b1

http://www.flukenetworks.com/us/_Tra...g+Training.htm

Old 01-07-03, 06:18 PM
S
No one ever said you were wrong. We just wanted hithmojr to understand that he has a choice here, Voice or Data using Cat5.

Old 01-07-03, 07:54 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
Now, now...play nice kids or I won't give you a lollypop

Old 01-07-03, 08:32 PM
S
Sorry, did I come across in a bad way? Really didn't mean to, it's just so hard to express your emotions in writing

Hey, maybe we should have different fonts?? Really the only other thing you can do is SHOUT AT PEOPLE, and that's just not as effective as it should be.

Old 01-08-03, 09:07 AM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
We're cool

No offense taken, nor meant to give, in any of the above exchange, I just wanted hithmojr to have the most accurate information in order to accomplish what he wanted to do. Good, lively, spirited discussion is what these forums are for, and to keep each other honest while sharing knowledge and experiences. Long live the DIY Forum!

LewMac

Old 01-08-03, 05:41 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
Different fonts would be good but I'm not exactly sure if that is something I can take care of. You can suggest it to the Site Admin if that is something that you feel would help us out. Yes, it is sometimes difficult to get your point across online. This is why when I was single I wasn't able to keep a relationship with someone online. I always used to seem to say things that could be taken more than one way.

Old 01-09-03, 05:00 AM
sudsman
Visiting Guest
LAN Down Under

Do you think they call a Local Area Network in Australia the LAN down under??(phonetek)

Only when it's broken.

Old 01-09-03, 05:39 AM
sudsman
Visiting Guest
The 1st pair (W-Bl/Bl-W) of a 4 pair UTP cable appears on pins 4 & 5, the center position of an RJ-45 jack in either TIA-568A or TIA-568B configurations. A standard mounting cord (RJ-11) can be used for analog (POTS) voice applications when plugged into an RJ-45 type jack as long as the cross-connect jumper in the wiring closet or phone room, or at the network interface device at a house is connected to the dial tone pair at the terminal and the 1st pair (W-Bl/Bl-W) of the 4 pair cable at that point too.

As far as voice and data sharing the same cable, you're all correct.

In the 80s, before there was a TIA committee to address all the evolving voice and data applications and when 4 pair UTP (unshielded twisted pair) cabling was starting to become the defacto standard for wiring commercial buildings, it was very common for vendors to recommend using the same 4 pair cable for both voice and data at the same time. AT&T, among others, sold it's StarLAN (10Base-T) product that way. They provided splitters that plugged into an RJ-45 type jack that had POTS dial tone (an RJ-11 jack) on one side and a data jack (in the RJ-45 configuration) on the other side.

This arrangement was very economical when it worked, but as phonetek and others can attest to, it can become a nightmare to administer and maintain over time. And phones connected to a PBX (telephone switch) that required two or more cable pairs needed a separate cable run to the wiring closet or phone room. In addition at approximately $115 - $135 (early 1990's prices) per run of a Teflon coated 4 pair cable, a building with just 500 people each needing a separate voice and data cable and jack at their desk......do the math. And at that time almost every building in America needed to be wired or re-wired with Cat 5 cable.

The TIA committee in an effort to eliminate confusion and to establish standards for all such applications developed TIA-568A to address telecommunications cabling in a commercial building and recommended at least 2 - 4 pair cables per work station, one for voice and one for data.

Sorry to be so long-winded.

Old 01-09-03, 12:05 PM
C
When I wired my home for Cat5, I ran two cables minimum to every site. With a properly connected telephone line to the hub, I can put a telephone line on any of these connections in just a minute. The RJ11 jack from the telephone plugs into the 8p8c wall receptacle, and there is dial tone. Having two cables means that I can connect a computer line to one just about as easily.

Old 01-15-03, 01:39 PM
GWS
Visiting Guest
You use two pair for the network (pairs 3 and 2) pull the brown pair (4) and hook it to the POTS line. It's not the best way, but it works. The ring voltage would be the issue.