phone line repair question

Old 01-15-03, 11:19 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
phone line repair question

Here's my problem: I have an 1904 house with a 'older' looking telephone junction box mounted on a ceiling joist in my basement. It's fed from the street thru the rim joist of the house. There are 5 wires attatched to it: 4 modular (modern) grey phone wires [which run to 4 modular boxes attatched to phones which work] and one older, triple braided wire which (for whatever reason) the previous owner ran outside, up the side of the house, and back into a 2nd floor bedroom. This wire is broken on the outside, and the phone upstairs is dead. I 'd like to replace the whole run with a new cable that is exterior rated, and can be painted the color of the house.

Q: I can do basic wiring etc... but I know nothing about phone wiring. Any advice on how to replace this would be appreciated. I realize that the amt. of info I've provided here is minimal, so if there's anything (specific) anyone needs to know, please ask. thx

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-03, 02:40 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Take a look at this site to get started: <a href="http://phonewiring.safewatchservice.com">Here</a>
When you say "triple braided" do you mean that it has 3 wires inside? A red, green and yellow maybe? If so, that is really old wiring, it needs to be replaced anyway. As for running a new line upstairs, you can use regular phone wire to do this, which will have 4 wires, take a look at the mentioned site for explanations of these wires.

Good luck!

Last edited by SafeWatch; 07-29-03 at 08:55 PM.