Home Network -usb?

Old 01-15-03, 04:15 PM
GARYWM
Visiting Guest
Home Network -usb?

We have recently installed 2-way satellite Internet service in our home. No other high-speed service was available in our area. The speed is great but I am scratching my head over the only output from the satellites modem is usb. I know there must be a simple fix to network through the house with CAT-5 cable or go wireless to my laptop, but the usb has me stumped. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-03, 05:16 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most of the time, when you have a USB connection on a modem (DSL/Cable/Satellite/doesn't matter) you can only connect one computer to the modem. You can, however, run it through a router, or use a proxy server. I would highly recommend using a router. The problem is going to be in finding a router that has a USB connection, not sure if there is such an animal. If that doesn't work, just connect to a computer that has a NIC in it and run Cat5 to your other computer, or back to a hub (if you have more than 2 computers.) Definitely possible, just takes some enginuity.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-03, 06:10 PM
C
Unless you can find a router with a usb connection, running one computer and using internet connection sharing is the likely best method.

Old 01-15-03, 07:24 PM
Phonetek
Visiting Guest
You should be able to find a USB router but don't quote me on that. If all else fails there may be some sort of adapter possibly available. Check Best Buy you never know what you may find. I know they make USB hubs, so they may make such a router. Without shopping around myself I can't give a rock solid answer on this one. Let us know what you find out, I know I am curious myself.

Old 01-30-03, 01:37 PM
rmacfixes
Visiting Guest
Phonetek, I don't think that is correct. Normally, USB Modems are designed for 1 PC only. To my understanding, their is no routers that are USB. Yes, you there are routers that have a USB port, but only to connect to a PC, and not a modem.

Regards,
RMACFIXES

Old 01-30-03, 03:22 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just from surfing the linksys and d-link sites, I don't think there is such a router available, at least not yet. Looks like you'll have to setup a proxy (or ICS.) Basically, you need a NIC in each computer. Use a Cross-over cable between them, NOT a patch cable. If you want to setup more than 2 computers with internet access, you will need a network hub. In that case you would use patch cables to connect your computers to the hub. Of course, wireless hubs are also an option.

The point being, setup one computer as always-on, connect it to the USB on the modem and setup your network from there, whether it's ICS or another form of connection sharing doesn't really matter.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-03, 08:34 PM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
For what it's worth...

GARYWM,

I used to have StarBand, a two-way satellite system, and I used WinProxy to share the internet connection over my home network through a 4-port hub. The satellite modem they sent me had the option of a USB or Ethernet connection. I used the ethernet port and had 2 NIC's in my main desktop. On that machine I ran WinProxy, which enabled the connection to be shared. Go to--->

www.winproxy.com

to see if that can help. They have lots of technical info and instructions on how to set up various configurations.

I had my satellite system for about 2 years. I was a beta tester for StarBand for a year before it was released to the public, and another year after it was. It was OK, but I now use DSL and am more pleased with the reliability--speed is pretty comparable.

Good luck!

LewMac

Old 02-06-03, 03:32 PM
robert hales
Visiting Guest
Home networking

If cost isn't the factor , you can get Interface connector from ethernet to usb or usb-ethrenet which ever type of hub you have.

Also what OS are you running ?

Linksys has a wired / wireless router that pretty good price this way you would have to worry about cables period, but would have to buy nic with RF antenna's attached.