phone problem

Old 02-12-03, 09:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
phone problem

With the wet weather still hovering, it is expected to have unexpected problems. One of them was my phone with no dial tone which I reported to my local provider. Their technician came early today. He got my phone operating (with dial tone, I can call/receive calls) but can hear this noticeable hum. Also, the ringer sounds "krrrek" - compared to the normal "rrrrinngg." I reported this problem, too. Can someone tell me what happened for future reference? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-03, 09:43 PM
Can you tell us more about what he did while there? For example, did he fix the no dial tone problem at the gray box on the side of your house, the green box (usually looks similar to a metal green post) at the corner of your yard or a neighbors or from a remote area (usually a huge box located somewhere in the neighborhood)? I am under the assumption that the phone in question isn't a cordless. If so, then it seems that not enough power is coming through the telephone lines to generate a solid ring.

Is this problem a recurring one, or something new? The reason I'm asking is that in some neighborhood, especially during rainy seasons, the lines that are run under the ground through 'pipes' can get wet and cause problems this way. The pipes can develop holes and/or cracks due to age, rodents and/or roots.

Obviously since your phone is ringing oddly, along with the fact that you hear the hum, it is more than likely from your yard box (if in fact there is one) than from your gray box attached to the house.

One thing you can do to determine if it is within your home or not, is to locate the gray box on your home and open the door. You can go this far into the box without anyone getting on to you! Should take a flat headed screw driver. There is a plug that looks similar to the plug in ends that your cord goes into inside the house. Take a known working phone out there with you, and unplug that outside plug and plug your phone directly into it. If the hum is gone, then its your inside wiring. If not, let the phone tech know what you found and they will have to trace where the problem originates.

Sorry that I can't help you more, but please post back with what you find so maybe we can go from there.

Kay

Old 02-13-03, 11:09 PM
J
phone problem

Thanks for the quick reply, Kay. It was probably a coincidence that my phone went out during a downpour. Anyway, the tech left a note saying that a wire got knicked/cut. The green box is across the street from my house and he said the wires must be dug up. It has to be coordinated with the gas, cable, power and will take about 5-10 days before they start digging. Well, more rain is forecasted and don't have a clue when they will start. Will let you know when they finish. I am grateful and blessed that I can still use the phone even with minor irritation.

Old 02-14-03, 06:01 AM
I'm glad that you do have telephone service, even if it isn't the best right now. Even better is that it is the phone companies problem, not yours!

Kay

Old 02-17-03, 07:00 PM
J
problem fixed!

This morning, the techs dug up the marked area across the street from us. After a couple of hours, they were done - the problem was a bad splice kit. No rain in forecast, just a Santa Ana breeze for a high of 70 and low of 40. I love SoCal's weather. Thanks, Kay!

Old 02-17-03, 07:09 PM
Ooow, 70 degrees. Sounds dreamy. We're fluctuating right now, which is normal for the midsouth. Probably around 30 right now with the highs in the mid 40's depending upon its mood. Was up in the low 50's a few days ago and we actually saw the sun!

Am glad they fixed the phone problem for you. It may sound petty, but line noise to me is like trying to listen to a friend with your tv sound up and it not on a channel. Just noise, distracting noise.

Kay