phone jack hookup

Old 02-18-03, 08:32 AM
bluetarp6
Visiting Guest
phone jack hookup

I have installed phone jacks in the past but this one has me stumped. It's a Leviton coax/phone jack combination. The phone jack part of it is color coded but how to get those fine wires into it is the stumper. Any clues? (I suppose if the directions were still around I wouldn't need to be seeking help)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-03, 04:55 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you may have a network (RJ45) jack. But to answer your question, the professionals use what's called a Punch-Down Tool (get it at Home Depot.) If you just have the one jack and don't need it more than one, you can also use a small flat head screw driver. Just make sure you have the wire all the way down in the crimp, otherwise you won't get a good connection. Also, take the head of the screw driver and fold the wire over it to make and L shape, this will make it easier to get your wire in there. Then push the wire down <i>from the sides</i>, <b>not down the middle</b>, to get it all the way to the bottom (if you push the screw driver down the middle, you could damage the jack.)

If your jack has 8 conductors, it's an RJ45 jack, made for LAN connections. It <i>will</i> work for phone lines, but it's not recommended.

Good luck!