Cat 5 and 30A in the same trench?

Old 02-22-03, 04:05 PM
hhouse
Visiting Guest
Cat 5 and 30A in the same trench?

I need to run a CAT5 cable out to a workshop, but also need to run a 30A/220V circuit as well. I plan on using separate conduit but the same trench. Any risk of impairing my network connection in this scenario?

Thanks in Advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-03, 04:15 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should be fine, especially if you're using Cat5. I would try to get at least 6-10" between the conduit, if you can. How far is your run?

Old 02-23-03, 07:59 AM
hhouse
Visiting Guest
Or go wireless?

From the hub/cable modem to the PC, it is about 120'. When you say to get 6-10" apart, do you mean to keep the two conduits apart the whole length of the run? I guess I could do that. I probably should have asked in the same post what people thought about using a wireless connection between the house and the workshop. Would that connection be reliable at that distance between two buildings? It would have to be end-user type equipment like they sell at Best buy, etc. I can't afford the good stuff like Cisco equipment.

Old 02-23-03, 09:30 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hmm, that is a pretty good distance, not sure if wireless would work that far. Probably so, but check <a href="http://www.linksys.com">Linksys</a> and <a href="http://www.dlink.com">D-Link</a> for some specs.

As for the conduit, yes I meant the whole way if possible. I did just realize you are talking about 220V though, so I would also post this question in the Electrical forum too, just to get some more opinions. I'm no expert when it comes to electrical.

Old 03-24-03, 04:24 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
Wireless seems to be good for the most part. Of course the farther away the lower your speed will get. If I were you I'd stick to hard wiring it and run a couple of cables for future expansion. Plus, wireless equipment is more expensive. All depends on time and money.

Old 04-02-03, 07:27 PM
Drivr
Visiting Guest
If you are really worried about the lines being to close together you could run shielded cat5E in the trench instead of unshielded. Are you going to run the cable in the ground within a conduit or just by itself?

Old 04-05-03, 07:22 AM
If I were you, I'd pull in 2 cat-5's and and RG6. You never know, and wire is cheap.
12" should be a good enough distance from the power. If your using a ditchwitch or trencher, or digging by hand, you might as well put them even farther apart in seperate trenches, since none of those will be 12" wide with a single pass anyway.

Old 04-05-03, 06:01 PM
hhouse
Visiting Guest
Distance OK

Thanks for the feedback. Is 120 feet okay for either CAT5 or CAT5E?

Old 04-05-03, 07:21 PM
CBU
Visiting Guest
hhouse:
I want to input my thoughts:If you haven't obtained your wire then I want you to consider using 5 or 6pair Buried Service Wire.This can be direct buried-no conduit needed.It is a gel-fiiled 22awg w/a ground shield.Telephone Co. standard feed to homes w/buried service-typically on new construction buried by Electric Co.-same trench.Real good stuff.Also be aware that CAT5 is a good networking wire but a conduit is needed and if there is water engress in future-well then who knows?It really is intended to be a inside type wire.Good luck!

Old 04-05-03, 09:03 PM
C
120 feet is OK for cat5 or cat5e.

Unfortunately, telephone wire is not a suitable substitute for cat5 cable or its kin.

Old 04-06-03, 11:53 AM
I assume you are using conduit. If not, they do make direct burial cat 5 also.

Old 04-06-03, 05:41 PM
hhouse
Visiting Guest
Cat 5

Thought I'd use conduit. Any difference in electrical interference issues between standard with conduit and direct burial?

Old 04-06-03, 06:33 PM
CBU
Visiting Guest
hhouse:
I don't believe you'll have trouble w/EMI(electro-magnetic induction)in either scenario
.Direct buried is dropped same trench as power feeds every day.Cat5 is a good choice thru conduit provided that conduit is sealed-no water-ever.Maybe more important for your concern is to obtain wire w/a bond/ground shield and ground each end.Most electric interference is a result of faulted wiring(elec. or tele.)-not all,most.If direct bury don't allow tele. wire to twist w/power.-lay flat/parallel.Pull multi-feeds either way if you can-you may just want more than a network connection-i.e.>phone,buzzer,intercom,etc.
I'll be watching to see what you decide and how it turns out!
Good luck!

Last edited by CBU; 04-07-03 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-08-03, 08:13 AM
I agree with laying more wire than you need, because you never know. The maximum length with cat5e according to TIA/EIA 568 is 90meters. So you are ok there. I would lay my power cable in 4 conduit, and then run my cat5 in a smaller conduit inside the larger one. I would protect my conduits with root barrier/rock salt if you have tree in the area or plan on having them in the future. There are quite a few wireless routers/access point's that will reach 120ft. The best way to find a good one is to check the computer magazine websight's and look for reviews.

Just a side note, but in college they said EMI was Electro-Magnetic Interference.

Old 04-08-03, 04:59 PM
Also, if you are bonding a ground, it should be done through the electrical or a seperate ground wire, not the shield on a data cable. You should only ground one end of a shielded cable, other wise it becomes an antenna, and can induce more noise than it would have eliminated.