What Is This??

Old 03-02-03, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Is This??

NONMONITORED SECURITY SYSTEM HAS PHONE LINE RUN TO CONTROL BOX THAT I WANT TO CONVERT TO A REGULAR PHONE LINE, PLUG IS DIFFERENT (BIGGER) SIZE, WHAT SHOULD I DO.....?
oooopps! sorry about the caps, did not mean to yell!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-03, 09:41 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This must be what you PM'd me about

The plug you are talking about is called an RJ31X. Here's the problem, if you just disconnect that jack, you could lose your phones in the house. You can plug a phone directly into that jack, even though it's the wrong size, but you will probably still lose your other phones. Whether or not you lose the other phones really depends on how the lines are wired (if they were wired correctly or not, if the phone company has been out since the system was put in, etc, etc, etc.) There's always one way to tell - just unplug the green wire and see if you still have your other phones. If so, no problem, just disconnect it (I would still be careful and unplug the green and red then try the phones again, just to be sure.) If the phones do not work, you can (not recommended) connect the green and black wires together then wire to a jack, then connect the red and yellow wires together and wire to the jack.

Brief explanation:
The green and red wires come into the security system (the feed.)
The black and yellow wires return the line back to the house phones.
So essentially what you would be doing is bypassing the security system and just connecting the green (feed) to the black (return) and then connecting those to the new jack. Same with red and yellow.

Does that make any sense at all? If not, let me know, I'll see if I can explain better.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-03, 10:40 AM
oooppppssss!!!!

got a new jack, wired it color for color, now other phones are out! i guess this is why i do a/c work, huh? will reread your post and see if i can fix it. as of now, the jack i changed is working, but the others

i used to work for the state...
if it ain't broke, we'll fix it till it is!

Old 03-05-03, 10:49 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yep, I thought that might happen. Just take the Black wire and put it with the Green wire, then the Red with the Yellow. You want both Green and Black on the jacks Green terminal, then Red and Yellow on the jacks Red terminal.

Let me know if you need more explanation.

Old 03-09-03, 09:40 AM
thank you safewatch!

used the one jack until today. finally got time to fix it. thank you for all your help. mike