Cable Television Installation

Old 03-26-03, 05:05 AM
djlaurai
Visiting Guest
Cable Television Installation

I have cable television run throughout the home.

I have it splitting from the main cable and going to 6-8 different areas of the home. Is there a way to prevent the signal from being degraded? Some of the TV's reception is not that could -- when the TV is fine.

I am adding Cable Modem access in a week -- will this have any bearing on the issue?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-03, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We have 4 tv's and a cable modem running off one feed. This does cause problems with the the tv's toward the end of the run so we added a signal booster for the 3 tv's in the kid's bedrooms. We had to put the booster AFTER the cable modem since the signal was strong to my modem, but the data my modem was trying to send back to the server couldn't 'swim' upstream LOL.

Since the boosters are electrical, we had to add another outlet in the attic for that. Also, if your cable company allows unlimited ties in to cable without charge, be sure to let them know how many tv's you have hooked up so they can adjust their output to help you get better reception. They have their limits of what they can 'up' it to, so don't expect much better reception, but it does help.

Kay

Old 03-26-03, 06:00 AM
djlaurai
Visiting Guest
Thanks Kay. Where can I get a signal booster from?

Is it expensive?

Old 03-26-03, 06:13 AM
Hmmm, I'm trying to remember where I picked ours up from. Either from the local home improvement store (Home Depot) or from WalMart. Probably Home Depot and I don't believe it was over $30, probably less. I believe our total bill on it was around $60 and that included purchasing the booster, the wire for the new outlet, the outlet/box/cover itself, enough cable to run through the house from the original feed to the kids' rooms (3), and all the connections/connectors/wallplates for each room. Our house is only 1300 square feet so most of the cost was simply the connectors and wall plates, plus the booster itself.

I've seen them at KMart, too. I'm sure Lowe's, Sears, Home Depot, etc. all will have them.

Kay

Old 03-26-03, 06:14 AM
djlaurai
Visiting Guest
Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it.

Old 03-26-03, 06:36 AM
You are more than welcome! If you need help with how to go about choosing where to move an existing outlet to make a new one, or additional outlet in the attic post in electrical. They helped me determine how to go about it since I was having to add to already loaded lines in the house.

Some newer homes already have an outlet in the attic. I added this one for both the booster, and an alarm system that we had installed here.

Kay

Old 03-26-03, 11:37 AM
Fro best results(insurance for cable modem), split the cable coming into the house. Run one line direct to the 'puter.

As Kay suggested, a couple amplifiers for the tv's will help.

as info, the cable company doesn't care and has no business knowing how many tv's(splits) you have. But, if you tell them you have x number of splits and a couple tv's still do not have acceptable pictures, they still may help with their own amplifier.

fred

Old 03-26-03, 05:05 PM
C
You want the best signal to the cable modem. The television will tolerate a poorer signal unnoticed.

Old 03-26-03, 05:14 PM
We tried that with our booster, but the modem signal going out couldn't make it out. I had in, but no out if that makes sense. We had to put the booster 'after' the modem.

Kay

Old 03-26-03, 06:22 PM
Kay,
Something else was apparently wrong. The modem is using a totally different frequency. The inbound cable signal should not interfere with the modem transmission (either way) at all.
However, too many splitters before the modem can weaken the throughput.

fred

Old 03-26-03, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure what it could have been then. We hooked it up and I couldn't use the internet, and then when we moved it after the modem, the modem worked fine.

Does this mean that I can actually boost the power to the modem and not affect my output! I don't see how I could be much faster with this old computer. Some sites just load slower than others, usually this one LOL when we have a lot of visitors/members on at one time.

Kay

Ps. I will take a look at it sometime this week, tho. My son hooked everything up for me since our attic isn't user friendly and he was already up there. I just wired the outlet.

K.

Old 03-27-03, 08:27 AM
fishinfool
Visiting Guest
re modem amp

You need a quality 2 way amp for use with any modem on cable. Buy one from an electronics store.

Old 03-27-03, 08:52 AM
That's what the deal is, I have a one-way booster.

Kay

Old 03-27-03, 11:47 AM
The 2-way amp will help if there is a problem. BUt needing one on ANY cable modem is not necessarily true, I don't have one - don't need it. I only have one splitter of the cable, then come direct to the puter.

fred

Old 03-27-03, 07:04 PM
J
Be careful with those boosters, the cable company does not like them. It messes up their signals and can cause service to go down.

I had a booster for a while in my old apt. The cable company was down with one of those hand held devices that detects signals, and interferences. I can't remember, but I think they traced the problem to my apt. ANyway when the guys came up, they told me that the boosters are bad, and that was one of the things causing the cable to go down in our area---does not work well with cable, and cable internet service.

If you are having problems with degredation, then you should call the cable company and have them work the problem.