phone trouble

Old 04-03-03, 05:35 AM
nylons2728
Visiting Guest
Red face phone trouble

i am having trouble with my phone.. i get a dial tone and can make outgoing calls but i cannot receive incoming calls... i called the phone co. and they want to charge 100 dollars to send someone out to just look at the phone lines... they told me on the phone that there is a short in my line but i checked all the cords and i even changed the modular jack but nothing has worked so far.... please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-03, 06:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you had a short in your lines, you would not get a dial-tone at all - in most cases, anyway. Now, if you have a short to ground or something like that, you would most likely hear a humming noise on the line.

The best thing to do is test your line at the NID (the phone box) outside. Unplug the phone jack in it and plug in a regular phone. Try calling from another phone (cell phone? neighbor's phone? etc) and see if it rings. If not, the phone company <i>is</i> responsible for repairing it for you. If it does work, then you need to check the inside lines for problems. Check your phones too. If you have to, take them to someone elses house to make sure you don't have a problem with them. Or, buy a cheap one at K-Mart/Wal-Mart, etc. to test with.

I'm not a phone technician, so I can't give you specifics to look for, but I do have considerable experience working on phones and phone lines, so I'll do the best I can.

Good luck!

Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-03-03, 12:01 PM
nylons2728
Visiting Guest
Red face

i am living in a very old house and i do not think i have a phone box outside... and by the way when i call my house the phone rings one time and then i hear static... at first i had a busy signal a few days ago but now i hear static... when in my house i hear the phone ring one time and that's it.... so what shoud i do???

Old 04-03-03, 12:22 PM
nylons2728
Visiting Guest
brandon...

by the way i did check all my cords and used different phones the problem was not them.......and i did hear an echo on the phone when i did not get a dial tone at times....

Old 04-04-03, 06:56 PM
CBU
Visiting Guest
nylons2728:
I agree w/safewatch on testing at NID-local phone co should install if you request so you can test as described.If your phone is ringing a 1/2 ring(trip-ringing) and people say they tried to call but were cut-off then there very well could be a short-circuit.A HARD sort will kill dialtone but,a moderate or hi-resistance short will cause ringing voltage to trip-hence 1/2ring/poor ring-cut off.This short could be in or out of the home and sometimes phone co. will test as ROH(receiver off-hook) although no receiver actually off-hook.Inexperienced repair clerks read this remote test-matched w/a code and report to as such(Its assumed ROH is inside but,this is not always the case!).You need to be able to test at NID to be certain unless your handy w/ an ohmmeter and can trace/resplice inside phone wiring.Good luck and let us/me know.

Old 04-05-03, 05:36 AM
nylons2728
Visiting Guest
Smile

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE BUT U R NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THAT YESTERDAY IN THE MORNING MY PHONE STARTED TO WORK... I AM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THERE WAS TROUBLE ON THE LINES OUTSIDE AND SOMEONE FIXED THEM...I AM VERY HAPPY, THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP.....