using 4 conductor with a 6 conductor wall plate

Old 04-05-03, 03:20 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
using 4 conductor with a 6 conductor wall plate

Hope I can write this in an uncomplicated manner..
I have a 4 conductor wire coming to the wall, and I wanted to hook it up to a 4 conductor wall plate. Locally no one had a 4 conductor wall plate, but they told me no problem to use a 6 conductor as long as you hook the proper wires together..I tried it quickly, and the phone did have a dial tone, but I don't know if it'll affect it later on.Is it o.k. to use it?
Thanks
George

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-03, 06:36 AM
CBU
Visiting Guest
geoss:
4conductor=2 lines/rj14c type jack and 6cond.=3lines/rj25c type(?)-You should be ok.

Old 04-05-03, 11:50 AM
G
sounds complicated, but

Hi,
Thanks for info..it all sounds complicated, but we have 6 phones in the house..all on the same line or whatever..so I'll stay with what you say is o.k....George

Old 04-05-03, 02:08 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Basically what CBU is saying - you only use 2 conductors per phone line. So with a 4-conductor wire or jack, you can connect 2 phone lines. With a 6-conductor wire or jack, you can connect 3 phone lines. With a 4-conductor wire on a 6-conductor jack, you can connect up to 2 phone lines, you don't have enough wires to connect the 3rd line (no big deal in your case.) So you only need 2 conducors per line.

If you have dial-tone, you have it connected right.

For future reference/readers: the first line should be connected to the Red/Green terminals on your jack. The second on Black/Yellow. The third on White/Blue. As for the wires, they are usually Red/Green is 1st (or White/Blue with CAT5) Black/Yellow 2nd (or White/Orange with CAT5) and White/Blue 3rd (or White/Green with CAT5) then, only with CAT5, White/Brown is 4th.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-03, 05:18 PM
G
thanks for info

Thanks for info..really appreciate it.
George