Combining Tele Lines

Old 04-18-03, 06:32 AM
gdwright3
Visiting Guest
Combining Tele Lines

I HAVE TWO TELEPHONE LINES IN MY HOME. SINCE I GOT CABLE INTERNET, I ONLY NEED ONE NOW. I WOULD LIKE TO COMBINE THE TWO LINES INTO ONE. ONE OF THE LINES IS IN ONE ROOM ONLY. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE IT PART OF THE WIRING FOR THE OTHER LINE WHICH IS SET UP FOR THE ENTIRE HOUSE. HOW DIFFICULT IS IT? THE PHONE CO WANTS TO CHARGE ME $160.00 TO THE WORK.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-03, 02:38 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Let me make sure I understand what you are wanting to do: You want to take a second line phone jack and convert it back to the first line?

If that's the case, it's easy enough - once you figure out how it was switched to line 2 in the first place. Start at the interface outside, you should have 2 phone blocks inside there. One will be your first line, the other will be your second line. All you need to do is move the second line wires (this is where it gets tricky, I can't tell you what color they will be - could be green/red or black/yellow or Cat5 wiring) to the first line block. If you're lucky that will do it. If not, you may have to rewire the phone jack, but probably not.

Now, there's another catch - if you have an older interface (or none at all) then you will have to figure out which connection is which outside before you can move line 2 back to line 1's interface.

If all of this is too confusing, take a look at <a href="http://phonewiring.safewatchservice.com">this link</a> for some clarification.

Good luck!

Last edited by SafeWatch; 07-29-03 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-10-03, 09:36 AM
gdwright3
Visiting Guest
COMBINING PHONE LINES

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS.

I LOCATED THE NID, OPENED IT AND CAN SEE THE JACKS FOR EACH LINE. I PLUGGED A PHONE INTO EACH TO DETERMINE WHICH LINE IS WHICH. NOW MY QUESTION IS, HOW DO I COMBINE THE LINES INTO ONE? THERE IS ANOTHER BOX BETWEEN THE LINES WHICH I DID NOT OPEN AND I CAN SEE THE WIRES ON EACH LINE UNDERNEATH THE JACKS (ONE WHITE W/RED AND RED W/WHITE THE OTHER IS BLUE/WHITE AND WHITE/BLUE. I TOOK A PICTURE WHICH I WILL ATTEMPT TO ATTACH TO THIS POST.