Wireless Modem Jack

Old 04-19-03, 07:04 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless Modem Jack

Hello,

I need a phone jack in an interior hallway for my kids's computer/internet connection. Since I don't know how to run a line from an existing jack (in an adjacent bedroom), and can't find anyone willing to do this without stapling the line to the baseboards (I wanted it "invisible" - pulled under the floor or inside the walls), I began looking into wireless modem jacks. After days of research, I purchased an RCA 930 jack specifically designed for modems.

I dutifully followed the directions, but all I get is static/noise. I followed the troubleshooting information provided (don't use a GFI outlet, try alternate outlets, etc.), to no avail. Do these things ever work? My home is old (90 years), but the electric was upgraded in 1983 including pulling all new BX throughout the house. I get decent DUN connections on the other 3 jacks we use.

Any input is appreciated. How I wish the telephone companies would still offer these kinds of services!

Thanks,
pieper

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-03, 03:10 PM
T
Any contractor will run the line the way you like it, but I don't think you'll like the bill you're going to get.
Just out of curiosity, why would you have a computer in a hallway? It seems to be in the way.
Is there a basement? Attic? You should be able to run a line either from the basement then up, or from the attic then down. I've never tried any of the wireless phone extenders, so I don't know how they work. My guess is that you need 2 of them, one that's plugged into a phone jack and one that you plug in the phone/modem.

Old 04-21-03, 06:45 PM
P
Thanks for your reply. It's not really a standard hallway, which I agree would be a tad tight! It's an 8 foot. wide upstairs foyer/landing, and it's perfectly suited for 3 kids being right outside of their bedrooms.

Yes... the wireless modem jacks are a set. One is a base unit (transmitter) which is put inline w/an existing phone jack. The receiver unit plugs into the A/C outlet. Hence the 'noise' I mentioned. My hunch is that the electrical lines in this OLD house are simply too noisy by virtue of the circuits. For instance... when kidlet #1 runs her ceiling fan, I can literally "hear" the pulse of the motor over this wireless modem. Although the wiring and incoming service are new, the lay-out of the circuits are as they were originally designed and I'm not about to change that. But you bring up a good point ... one worth looking into. The attic. It's actually a crawlspace, but I do believe it would be do-able to have someone run a line from the basement (where the block is) to the crawlspace, and drop it down the interior of the wall... or staple to the door moulding of one of the bedrooms. Which puts it within inches of the computer. Thanks for that thought!

Best,
pieper

Old 05-04-03, 08:44 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Perhaps they are plugged into opposite legs of the utility power supply (see wreless intercom thread for how to possibly repair that.

Apart from that, it is not really recommended that those be used for a computer modem connection, as the bandwidt those use is not suitable for decent connection speeds.

I'd find a private contractor to wire through the wall, if you aren't into doing some DIY.