Cat 5 for phone and network

Old 04-19-03, 07:42 AM
Spyder Dryver
Visiting Guest
Cat 5 for phone and network

I am rewiring my 1956 Cape Cod right now, and I thought while I have the walls open I should add a phone line and a network connection to each room. My plan is to run two separate Cat 5 lines to each room, ending in the same receptacle. I plan on having a duplex receptacle - one for voice and one for data. Is there any problem with running these two Cat 5 wires together for most of the run? (I am aware that they need to be 6" away from the electrical wires - they probably will be about two feet away). The other phone lines start in the basement, below the phone company's network interface box outside. I figured I could put a hub and the ADSL router in a designated network area down there, and connect all network runs to the hub. Then, I could connect the phone lines to the current connection. Does this sound like a doable plan? Any other words of advice? Thanks a lot for taking the consideration to answer this post.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-03, 05:08 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here's what I did with my house. It addresses much of what you ask.

www.ac5r.org/cat5.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by chfite; 07-31-03 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-20-03, 06:51 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, take a look at Chris's setup. He did a very good job with it, not to mention he basically walks you through the steps he took on his site (with pics.) There are some other sites mentioned if you look over in Home Automation (there's a link in my Signature.)

Good luck!

Old 04-20-03, 07:36 PM
Spyder Dryver
Visiting Guest
Thanks both of you. I will check it out.