Adding a phone jack

Old 05-30-03, 09:19 AM
danh7913
Visiting Guest
Adding a phone jack

I want to add a phone jack to a closet (to get our fax machine out of the way). The only existing jack is in the next room. I have access to the attic, which I'm guessing is the best way to splice the wires for the new jack, or I can probably pop off the base board and run it behind that and then go through the wall to the closet.

Is there an easier way to do this and do you think I'll have easy access to the attic from that wall - it is an out side wall. The less drilling or cutting drywall the better. I am not very handy.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-03, 09:35 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside walls are generally filled with insulation. Running wires through them is not only difficult, but usually requires a "glow rod" or snake of some sort. You'll probably be better off running the wire around the outside of the room. If you have carpeting, just pull it up and run the wire under the baseboard - when you put the carpet back down, it will hold your wire in place. If you dont' have carpet, you can pull the baseboard off, but it's a pain. You might just want to run the wire around the baseboard and staple it down, then paint it the same color as the baseboard.

The other option is to run the wire around the outside of the house. If you NID is anywhere near that closet, just run a wire from it to the closet.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-03, 09:42 AM
danh7913
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the prompt reply!

I was hoping to do this this weekend as a surprise to my wife as she is out of town for a few days.

Would it be ok to splice the wires at the existing jack?

I think I'll try the under the carpet or the baseboard.
Thanks for your help!

Old 05-30-03, 12:42 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, you can splice in at the jack. Just make sure your colors match up. There's a good website posted in a few of the earlier posts that shows you how to connect wiring properly at the jack. Take a look through some of the posts to find it.

Good luck!