AC Adapter - Need opinion

Old 06-06-03, 06:11 AM
Sunshine7
Visiting Guest
AC Adapter - Need opinion

I recently purchased a unit that transfers pictures from a digital camera memory card to the TV for editing and saving to a videotape. However, the adapter doesn't work. I was able to narrow the problem down because my daughter has the same unit.
The specs on the adapter are as follows:Input: AC120V 60 Hz 9W; Output: DC6V 500mA
I've found a universal adapter with Input: 110/220V, 60-50Hz 9W, Output 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12V DC.
This sounds good to me, but I need a second opinion. I certainly don't want to fry my unit.
By the way, this universal adapter costs around $5.00. I can buy a replacement from the manufacturer to $20 plus $10 shipping and handling. Big difference.
Anything special I should know about this?
Sunshine7

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-03, 08:28 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like that adaptor will work, but you left one thing out - the Amperage rating for the output on the new adaptor. As long as it's at least 500mA, you're ok. If it's less, your device could fry the adaptor very quickly.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-03, 10:57 AM
Sunshine7
Visiting Guest
Thanks Brandon.
The universal adapter is also 500mA.
Judging from your answer (you said "at least") it sounds like a higher amperage would be all right. I've seen 600mA locally but not 500. Would that be satisfactory? Otherwise I'll have to order.
I'm not as much worried about ruining the adapter as I am the PhotoPort TV.

Old 06-06-03, 05:49 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Either of the 2 will work. The Amperage rating is how much power that adaptor can deliver. If your device is not going to use more than that amount of power, then you are ok. In this case, your original adaptor was 500mA, so a 600mA will be suffice. It may even be better, since it will allow slightly more amperage to pass. You don't want to go overboard on it (i.e.: you wouldn't want to use a 1000mA or 1Amp power supply.) But, 600mA will be fine.

Good luck!