adding a second phone line

Old 06-11-03, 04:54 PM
jeannieb
Visiting Guest
Question adding a second phone line

I need help. I am adding a second phone line in the bedroom down in the basement and I have no clue how to do the wiring for it. I already have a jack that is part of the main line but the telephone guy said I have to do something to the jack and to the network interface box. He said there would be red and green connectors in the NIB but there is only one set...Can someone give me information on how to do this so I don't have to spend $130. Thanks
Jeannie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-03, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your local phone company wants your business and anywhere from 15 to 25 bucks for a second line, they should set you up for no charge. Mine did.
Now, after the initail 'fix' at the entry box, the line to wherever you like is your responsibility.
Someone will be here to tell you what you have to do.

fred

Old 06-11-03, 05:59 PM
jeannieb
Visiting Guest
second line

The phone company wants to charge me for labor and parts but a service rep told me it was just a matter of switching some wires since I have the jack and main phone line down here already

Old 06-11-03, 06:12 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Depending on the age of the house, you may not have the proper wiring for the jack. But, more than likely (if you house was built in the last 50 or so years) you have at least 4 wires on one line. So, the red/green wires should be connected, right now, to your first line. There <i>should</i> be a black wire and a yellow wire also. These are the wires you'll use for the second line. Now, the tricky part is finding the line that goes to your jack downstairs. Once you do that, just connect the yellow and black from that line to the second terminals at the NID and you should have dial-tone. Now, here's the thing, the phone company <b>is</b> responsible for getting dial-tone to your NID, so if you don't have dial-tone there, it won't do any good to hook anything up. I would check this before you try to do anything else. You <i>should</i> have 2 test jacks outside - 1 for the first line, 1 for the second line. Check the second line to make sure it has dial-tone with a regular (not cordless) phone. If so, you're ready to start connecting your black/yellow wires.

Good luck!

BTW, if you don't have red/green/black/yellow, you may have Cat3 or Cat5 wiring. So, the red/green will be White/Blue and the Black/Yellow will be White/Orange or something similar. As long as you use 2 wires that are not being used and connect them inside at the red/green on your jack, you should be ok.

Old 06-11-03, 07:19 PM
jeannieb
Visiting Guest
I have the blue and white wires...but are you talking about connecting them in the jack or the NIB that is what i do not understand. Someone told me in the NIB i shouldmove them to the line 2 but I cannot move them there isnt anywhere to put them. The house was built 2.5 years ago. If you are talking about the jack..do i just remove the blue and white and put in the white and orange wires?

Old 06-11-03, 07:41 PM
S
On a house that age, you will have test jacks for each line installed. If you only have one test jack, then the phone company hasn't done their job yet. They need to get your second line coming to the house. If you're lucky enough to have separate lines run to each jack, then you can just move the white/blue from the jack you want the second line on. However, I seriously doubt you have home runs for every jack. So, you'll probably have to use the white/orange wires for your second line and then switch the jacks you want to have the second line to white/orange wires on the jack's red/green terminals.

If none of this makes sense to you, hire someone. This is why we get paid good money to know this stuff

Good luck!

Old 06-11-03, 07:50 PM
jeannieb
Visiting Guest
so the interface box only has one red and one green that the wires attach to..does this mean that downstairs is not connected directly to the main line and i can just switch the wires on the jack and the box outside? sorry to ask so much but I would really like to try to figure this out. In the box there is only one test jack so I am wondering if there is another box I do not know about?

Old 06-11-03, 08:03 PM
S
If you have only one test jack in the NID, then you only have one phone line coming to the house. The phone company <i>is</i> responsible for getting that line to that box. They also <i>must</i> install a test jack and disconnect in that box by FCC code. So, if it's not there, you need to call them back. What I would do is setup the appointment for them to come out at a time you are there (just tell them you want to be there to make sure they bring the line to the box - act ticked-off that's it not there, if it helps.) Then hit them up with questions on how you should hook-up the jack downstairs, if you ask enough questions, they'll probably just go ahead do it, just to "shut you up" (no offense, but you know what I mean.) Just bug the crap out of them til they either do it, or you know how to do it

Good luck!

Old 06-11-03, 08:36 PM
jeannieb
Visiting Guest
Thank you Brandon for trying to help me. This is a great site and I will be back when I need more help. I will bug the crap out of them just as you said...Thanks again for your patience.
Jeannie