RJ45 Jacks

Old 06-17-03, 06:11 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
RJ45 Jacks

If a RJ45 Jack is "Cat 5 Jack", if you connect a Cat 6 or Cat 5e cable to it will you diminish the capabilities of your cable? In other words would this be the rate limiting step even if your cables are "higher" quality? Do they make specific RJ45 jacks for Cat 6 or Cat 5e? The specific Jacks I have are "Cat 5 Keystone Jack RJ45 Female/Female" types - (their meant to allow you to connect cables with the RJ 45 connectors already in place into any standard wall plate that accepts these keystone jacks thus allowing you to buy network cable with the connectors already in place and run them through your walls,etc - saves you the hassle of buying crimpers & doing all the end wiring, crimping etc.)
]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-03, 06:14 PM
B
Addendum: On further iinspection the package says Cat 5 but printed on the Female/Female Jack itself is Cat 5e - However my original question still remains the same? In this case will this Cat 5e Jack diminish the capabilities of Cat 6 Cable?

Old 06-18-03, 07:00 PM
winkleal
Visiting Guest
The cabling is a system. According to my understanding, the system is only good to the lowest rated component. So if you have a Cat 6 cable with a Cat 5e jack on one end and a Cat 5 jack on the other, theoretically it is only good up to cat 5.

Tony

Old 06-18-03, 08:16 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cat 5 is suitable for 100 megabit, Cat 5e for gigabit and Cat 6 for gigabit. If I were going to run gigabit data with any regularity, I would consider Cat 6.

The overall performance is in the design and construction of the cables and connectors. Cat 5 or 5e connectors are not up Cat 6 standards.

Here is some technical information on the differences between them.

http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/c...rch_engine.htm

#

Although category 6 and category 5e connectors may look alike, category 6 connectors have much better transmission performance. For example, at 100 MHz, NEXT of a category 5e connector is 43 decibels (dB), while NEXT of a category 6 connector is 54 dB. This means that a category 6 connector couples about 1/12 of the power that a category 5e connector couples from one pair to another pair. Conversely, one can say that a category 6 connector is 12 times less “noisy” compared to a category 5e connector. This vast improvement in performance was achieved with new technology, new processes, better materials and significant R&D resources, leading to higher costs for manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-03, 06:36 AM
B
Thanks for the info