Netzero High Speed

Old 07-05-03, 06:53 PM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Netzero High Speed

Ok here is the thing. We have a bad wire problem with the telephone switches in my town. No matter what ISP I use, I can't connect faster than 44,000 bps on a 56k modem. I currently use Netzero for my ISP, but was thinking about Netzero Highspeed. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does it really work as fast as they say?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-03, 08:12 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's probably not worth it. Technically, it's not high speed - it's a proxy server. This basically means that NetZero keeps a cache that you download web pages from - since you're not having to access the internet to do this, it's <i>supposedly</i> much faster (btw, it's <i>not</i> comparable to DSL, Cable, or even ISDN.)

Now, a little education on the internet and how it works:
There's a somewhat new (not really) technology called "dynamic pages" - these are basically HTML pages that are created on-the-fly, when they are requested (DIY.com uses this technology.) The idea behind this technology is simple - pages change as the content changes. Any page with the extension PHP, ASP, JSP, and a few others, use this technology (if you look in the address bar here, you'll see "newreply.php?..." the stuff following determines what you see on the page. So, with dynamic pages, since the content changes every time you access it, you can't use a cache to download the pages. So, the proxy then becomes useless - in other words, you're back to accessing the internet the same way you always have.

The only time the proxy (or "high speed internet") would be of use is on static pages - like HTML, HTM, etc.

BTW, any secure server pages (they start with https) would not be cached either.

In today's internet, about half of the <i>useful</i> content online is done in dynamic pages (including most online commerce sites, help/support sites, forums and message boards, you name it.)

In my opinion, it's just not worth it. If you want high speed, you have to go broadband (DSL, Cable, T1, etc.)

Good luck!

Old 07-14-03, 02:37 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
44,000 is not that bad at all.

I am unlucky, I get as up to 28,800, usually 26,400.